Thursday, November 4, 2010

Parenting 101

Tonight I got a little taste of what motherhood is like. I was put in charge of my four nephews ages 10, 9, 7, and 9 months old for the night. I immediately went to pick the three older ones up from their after-care program after work. We came to their home where I made us dinner. After that my mother, who was baby-sitting the baby, dropped him off. I then went to work getting him to bed, feeding him a bottle, and rocked him till he fell asleep. Meanwhile making sure the three older ones were getting their homework done and not killing eachother. After the baby went to sleep the rest of us spent a little bit of time watching t.v. together. Then slowly and surely, I got each of them to all tucked into bed all safe and sound. It has been a hectic day, and finally have a bit of alone time before I hit the bed here.
I am actually happy I got the chance to have all four of the boys to myself. It helped me know that even though parenting will be challenging in many ways, at the end of the day when you look at the kids all sleeping like perfect angels it is all worth it in the end. As much as I enjoy not being a parent at the moment, nights like this make me remember how much I do want to become a mother myself....:)

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Sometimes doing it the way you did is really difficult because moms have that automatic love response and responsibility tug and they are in some habit mode too. You just jumped in there and wasn't feeling too good either. Bless your heart. I had no idea.
Teresa, you already are so much like a mother..I don't think you have any idea how much. Motherhood is about doing things much of the time with love and not whining a fretting..doing it just because you love them and God...motherhood is not just about carrying and giving birth. Just ask my mom. She always said that..she was adopted and she always said her adoptive mother was very much the mother...her mother in the biggest way. Love you!