Thursday, December 16, 2010

Living In Denial... Finals Week? What Is This Finals Week You Speak Of????







This week my town has been a winter wonder land. It started on Monday and then really hit last night. It was a nice surprise to wake-up and find out I had a snow day. The weather has kind of helped when it has come to our finals week, but my friends and I have still found random ways to post-pone our studying even with all the snow on the ground. Saturday ice skating... Monday evening we had pancakes where we ended up making snow people out of butter because we did not want to study... Tuesday, hanging-out with my sister for her 21st birthday...Wednesday some of us played out in the snow after our adoration time and made snow angels... and today we made a ginger bread house. Still finding time for studying, but putting it off as much as possible. It is strange to me how all college students seem to find the most creative things to do while procrastinating on studying. Strange, but fun too.

Procrastinating... I know there is a quote that says, "Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday." Well if that's the case than I must be an expert at it! Why is it that procrastination comes so easily. Because it is a part of laziness... I don't really think about that so much as something that is a sin, but if I think of it in that way it is sort of. I mean Laziness is part of sloth which is one of the seven deadly sins. Now I am not saying that procrastination in itself is a deadly sin... just when we put things off that we need to do spiritually... Here is a little something that I read which made me think about how even though we all can lead busy lives, we can all still be lazy when it comes to our spiritual growth...

Most people think of sloth as laziness, not doing much of anything, but just sitting around doing nothing. Many people stay busy most of the time but don't do the things they should, putting them off for later. They may be staying busy so they have an excuse.
Sloth (or acedia) is a kind of spiritual laziness (as opposed to mere physical fatigue or depression). It means not making it a priority to do what we should, or change what we should in ourselves. Some people might call it apathy, which means a lack of feeling.




No comments: