Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Wise Words From J.R.R. Tolkein


"Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honor, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that."
The above quote happens to be one of my very favorite quotes by J.R.R. Tolkien. It comes from a letter he wrote to his son about the importance of the Eucharist in everyone's spiritual journey. You can read the rest of it if you click here. It is a nice quick read with good advice.

Really there is nothing better than to spend time with Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. I enjoy sometimes waking up in the middle of the night and quietly drive to the local church on a night I know there is Eucharistic Adoration. I tend to come in as quietly as possible so as not bother the other two people there praying there. It is amazing how much more relaxed I am after that.

I remember having to read the book, "The Screwtape Letters" back in high school. For those of you who have never heard of this book, it is by C.S. Lewis. It is a compilation of letters between the devil and his nephew about how to keep us from getting to Heaven. It is a very interesting book and I encourage you all to take a look at it. I recall one of the main points the devil was trying to get across to his nephew is to take advantage of how to drown out God's voice by filling everyone's life with as little amounts of silence as possible. It is in when we are silent that God speaks to us. Now that I am older I understand the need for that silence, and one of the best ways to fill that particular need is through adoration.

No comments: