Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Apparently Lady Bugs Are Catholic. Interesting.


Today I am supposed to talk about lady bugs with my kids as we are covering insects this week. As I was looking up some information on them, I ran across this question:

15. How did the ladybug get its name?
A. In Europe, during the Middle Ages, insects were destroying the crops, so the Catholic farmers prayed to the Virgin Mary for help. Soon the Ladybugs came, ate the plant-destroying pests and saved the crops! The farmers began calling the ladybugs "The Beetles of Our Lady", and they eventually became known as "Lady Beetles"! The red wings represented the Virgin's cloak and the black spots represented her joys and sorrows. They didn't differentiate between males and females.

Interesting fact. I have a new-found appreciation for the lady bug, even if they can stink pretty bad...

4 comments:

Mike Keucher said...

great post! this is the kind of thing i like to know!!!

Liz said...

so cool!

Teresa said...

Me too....this is the fun stuff of Catholicism! ;)

Teresa said...

Oops, Teresa..the above comment was me..Mom! You are still signed in even here.. LOL! Anyway you know its MOM!