Monday, April 11, 2011

"I Love People Who Make Me Laugh..."

I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person.
~Audrey Hepburn~

This past week-end was a really busy, crazy, entertaining, and fun one for me. I went down to St. Meinrad with a group of friends to visit one of my very best friends who is a seminarian there. There were seven of us all-together who made the drive down. We chose to separate into girls/guys cars and each took a different route down to figure out which one is shorter. My car won, but only by about five minutes (granted the boys car left earlier than ours did and we had to make a stop back at my house because my sister had left her cell phone, and I accidentally took a wrong turn which we figured out pretty quickly, so really taken all that into account we would have made it even longer before the boys did...). It was a fun time driving down there while singing Ke$ha songs at the top of our lungs. It was definitely a girl kind of road trip for sure.

Once we all arrived we headed over to start our visit off with Mass and then ate lunch at Meinrad. We then decided to drive over the the Monastery in Ferdinand, In. where we stayed for a tour. It is sad to see the sisters that live there no longer wear their habits. As the sister who was giving the tour talked about the reasoning behind that choice she used the saying, "It's not about what you wear, but what you do." It was very hard for my friends and I to keep a straight face after she finished that saying because my group of friends happen to believe that the habit is a very important part of being a sister. I have to say that for the most part us younger Catholics prefer seeing nuns and sisters in their habits. I have more respect for the sisters that do because it shows that they really are proud of their vocation and are not afraid to show it. After the tour was over and we were all outside some of my friends joked around about how I should that tour might have fostered some vocations. I laughed and said it most likely caused the exact opposite...

After the tour we headed back to "the hill" wear my friend was the cantor for evening prayer. That was an event for a few of us. We were each handed a breviary to use, only for most of us it was the first time we ever had to use it alone without someone kind of showing us how to use it. That was a learning experience for me and my friend who I was sharing the book with. We got lost a few times, but in the end it worked.

We then had dinner in Tell City at a restaurant which had really great food and then drove over to Bird's Eye where a few of us chose to have ice cream. We then ended the night back at the Unstable on the hill where we had a few drinks, some of someone's birthday cake, played some pool, and shared a pizza. My car left for the drive home a little after midnight. I did not actually get into bed until about 2:30 a.m.. It was a very long but incredibly fun day.

No comments: