Tuesday, February 16, 2010

It's Mardi-Gras! :)

Today is a very well-known holiday around the world, but maybe even more in New Orleans. It is Mardi-Gras. I am not surprised at how I have noticed that everyone seems to indulge in the more fun traditions us Catholics seem to have... After all Mardi-Gras is a very fun Catholic tradition celebrated the day before Ash Wednesday; the first day of Lent. It is the last time we are able to enjoy whatever "luxury" we are going to be giving up for the next forty days in preparation for the Holy Week celebrations. It is not necessarily for us to gorge ourselves with tons and tons of food, and whatever other enjoyable things either... I mean, after all, gluttony is still considered a capitol sin and so we still need to be rational with how we celebrate any holiday....

I guess I just find it funny how so many people rag on Catholics and what we believe while at the same time they take advantage of things like Mardi-Gras down in New Orleans. I think that if people are fine with putting us down than they are somewhat hypocritical when they enjoy only the parts they like of Catholicism. As the years have gone by I think Mardi-gras has been one of those traditions which has been materialized into whatever people want to use it for....just another excuse to party hard and have the wrong kind of fun. I have noticed that is just how most christian religious holidays are these days....

With that being said... There are times when healthy celebrations are good for us spiritually as well...

“Go and celebrate with a feast of rich foods and sweet drinks, and share gifts of food with people who have nothing prepared. This is a sacred day before our Lord. Don’t be dejected and sad, for the joy of the LORD is your strength!”
~Nehemiah 8:10~


So I hope everyone has a blessed and fun "Fat Tuesday" today! :) I will close with this little prayer I found....

Thank you, gracious God, for the goodness of your creation. Thank you for tasty foods and delicious drinks. Thank you for occasions of celebration. And thank you for pancakes!
Lord, help me to know when it’s time to celebrate, and when it’s time to be solemn. Teach me how to enjoy good times with you and your people. Keep me from excess that dishonors you and misuses your good gifts.
Remind me, Lord, to share my celebrations with others. May I never get so wrapped up in my enjoyment of life that I forget the poor or neglect your call to care for them.
O Lord, may your joy be my strength! In your name I pray, Amen.

No comments: