Thursday, February 11, 2010

Take the chatter elsewhere, please. :)

Tonight after Mass a friend of mine needed to talk about something, so instead of staying in the church sanctuary, where people were praying, we decided to walk outside and have our conversation there.... Later while I was on facebook, one of my friends asked why I left after Mass so quickly, and I told him that I did not want to bother the people praying with the conversation I was having.... This is one thing that I find rather disturbing; people talking in a rather loud voice in the sanctuary after Mass when there are people trying to pray. I find it somewhat rude, myself. My friend jokingly said that he wished priests would talk about that type of thing in their homily.

I know that when I go on retreats, especially one in particular, "Consumed", they usually make time after Mass for everyone to kneel down and pray immediately after Mass for a short time to say thanks to God for the amazing gift of the Eucharist... Now, I will admit that for the longest time I only would do that on retreats, take the time to kneel down and thank God that is. In the past few weeks, however, I have been taking the time after Mass to kneel, and as I have done that I have noticed how hard it can be to concentrate when there are all sorts of different conversations and loud voices going on around you. I feel as though before and after Mass there needs to be an emphasis to be more respectful and quiet for those who are praying. I think that walking out to hold a conversation is not such a hard thing to do, and should be mentioned more often. Maybe doing this will help more people to think and reflect on what they just witnessed in the Mass and received into their own bodies....

I hear the buzzer on the washing machine downstairs signaling to me that it is time to switch the laundry, so that is what I am going to go do now....

No comments: