Saturday, February 12, 2011

Good-byes And Surprises






All is quiet in my house except for the sound of the heater. I cannot seem to fall asleep and I know the reason is because at this moment there is somewhere else I would love to be at, but I know why I can't be there tonight or the rest of the week-end. That place happens to be in Indianapolis where a large gathering of undergrads are attending Kairos 21 retreat. It is a huge sacrifice for me to give up a retreat week-end. Knowing the majority of my friends are at the retreat enjoying great talks and eachother's company tonight is making not being there even harder. At this moment I am sure most of them are still awake enjoying their free-time playing games, singing songs, talking, and becoming very sleep deprived while having a whole lot of fun. As much as I wish I were there in person I understand now why God did not call me to go to this retreat as much as it is hard for me to not be there.

This week-end happens to be the last week-end for our parish priest to be here. He has only been with us for a short period of time considering how long the average amount of time is for a priest to stay with a parish. It was a surprise to hear about when he told us he only had a month left to stay with us. He also has said how much he really does not want to leave, but the only reason he is going is because the Bishop has told him to. He is being obedient to his adviser. Father has become very important to my family while we have been going through some difficult times. He has been one of the easiest priests for me to go to confession to. His homilies at Mass have always been easy for me to take something away from. He has done so many positive things at our parish. Knowing he is leaving and not really wanting to is making this good-bye even harder. If I had gone on the retreat I would have missed-out on his last Mass here, and that would have made me very sad. More sad than not attending the retreat, which is saying something pretty big considering how much I love retreats.

Another reason why I am ok with not being able to be on this retreat is the fact that my family is throwing my father a surprise birthday party on Sunday. The only reason why I am even ok with writing this on my blog is the fact that my father does not get on the computer... except to check his e-mail. When he sits and types out his e-mails he only uses two fingers because he has never really understood the need for typing classes. His work made him take a typing class which he attended, but even the teacher ended up passing him only because he went from one finger to two. Thinking about that kind of makes me laugh. I love my dad dearly. He turned sixty while I was away for my March for Life trip so we did not have a big celebration with him. In fact when I got home that day no one was here to greet me. My parents were out on a dinner date for his birthday. I was cool with that. In fact I kind of enjoyed having a bit of "alone" time to reflect on the trip. Anyway, so my mom is expecting fifty to sixty people coming to his party. My little brother will be the dj. There will be tons and tons of Mexican food since that is my dad's favorite kind of food. There are lots of letters that have come in for my dad from those who will not be able to be here for it in person. Along with his birthday this is also supposed to celebrate the fact that my dad has stayed sober for 22 years from alcohol which is something my family is very proud of him for. I could go on and on about all the many ways my dad has helped others around my town with different needs, but that would take a long time to write. The fact that so many care enough about him to let him know how much he means to them speaks volumes about the kind of man my dad is. I feel very blessed that God gave me the parents he did. I would not trade them for the world! Had I gone on the retreat I would miss-out on this grand occasion and that would really really make me sad.

The picture has Father Bill in the middle and my dad on his right. It was taken at one of the parish pic-nics that Father Bill pushed for.

Since I was not able to be with my friends I have sent them each a little note which they should receive sometimes tomorrow and I have been keeping them in my prayers. I cannot wait to hear how their experience was this past week-end when they return. :)

No comments: