Tuesday, March 29, 2011

"To Love Another Person Is To See The Face Of God..."

.... That is the final line to the musical "Les Mes" right before the finale song. I have been a fan of the musical "Les Mes" since I was in high school. I have to say that if it were not for an old high school crush of mine who played the lead in a local high school play I never would have thought twice about watching it. I fell in love with this musical from the first night I saw it on the stage at that high school. The cast that year did such an amazing job for a group of high schoolers that I felt a bit spoiled. Anyway, the reason why I am even talking about this is because a few weeks ago I finally talked my mom into watching it with me.

For those of you who have never heard of this musical, it is based of the book by Victor Hugo; "Les Meserables." The setting of this book is during the time of the French Revolution and basically follows the storyline of the different classes of people who lived during that crazy time in France. This musical also happens to have a bit of Catholicism in it as well as a Catholic Bishop challenges the main character to live his life as a gift for God. What really captures my attention about this musical in particular is the lyrics of the music. I have watched this numerous times and each time I watch it I end up bawling like a baby because of the beauty of the storyline and the music and the lyrics. Because of the musical I ended up picking Victor's book to read for a huge English project my senior year of high school and now it is one of my personal favorites to go back and read every so often.

The song that I chose to share on here is called "Bring Him Home." It is a prayer in which the leading role, Jean Valjean, is sending out a prayer to help save the life of one of the men, Marius, who was injured in battle. This happens to have the four most popular men who played Valjean singing together as a quartet and to hear these four voices blend together is truly heavenly....

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

I love it so! I did go to the musical with you, however, I was so caught up in the amazement of those teens and how well some of them performed, that I got lost in the story line and sometimes I don't hear lyrics completely the first time. Thanks for inviting me to watch again and now I know the story. It is beautiful and certainly all about real love.

Teresa said...

Mom,

I remember that! I have to say that even though crush never did ask me out (I probably would not go out with him now...lol) I am still very grateful that he introduced this musical to me. If it weren't for him I really never would have thought about going to watch it and then I would have missed out on something pretty amazing...

Teresa