Monday, March 29, 2010

Fun With the Family While Stuffing Easter Eggs

If you were to come and visit my family this evening you would have walked into a disaster area. As soon as you walk up the stairs you would see the living room floor covered with boxes, plastic easter eggs, little kid toys, stickers, bags, candy, and then all of us crowded in different parts of the room. It would look like we had our own little packing area with each of us having our own way of packing all these different things into easter eggs.

You see every year my dad decides he wants to be in charge of the church's children's easter egg hunt for Easter Sunday. My dad has done this now for the past ten years and so he is very particular about what toys and candy and such go with each child's age group. God forbid you accidentally add an extra sticker or put in two toys without a piece of candy... He does not do well when something goes a little off of his game plan. Flexibility is something he does not have much patience for. I have to say that I do enjoy messing with him by pretending that I messed something up earlier and just happened to realized it. That is great fun when his face turns all red and he cannot say a full sentence without stuttering because he is going through the eggs trying to find what I messed up. It is even more funny when he realizes I am joking with him. He makes it too easy that it is hard to resist teasing him a little bit.

Crista and I are now pretty much experts at dealing with my father when he is flustered while putting these easter eggs together. My mother, however, hadn't done it in a number of years and forgot how my dad can be. She was also frustrated more when not everything would fit and she had to tape a lot of them shut, and eventually just quit her spot all together. It was more fun to mess with them then actually packing up the eggs.

Of the 422 eggs we needed to fill up tonight, we only finished about half of them. We probably would have gotten them all done, except for the fact that my sister and I purposefully used the tape up like crazy so we would run out of it. My dad could not comprehend finishing the eggs that would not need tape tonight so instead he just called it quits.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Oh..that was too fun! It was good to have so hearty laughter around here, wasn't it? Thanks for another one today. Good good memories. Gotta love Dad for sticking with this all these years! :) Love ya!