Sunday, March 14, 2010

Happy Birthday, Jordan!!! :)

Today, more than most days, I am starting to feel my age. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that my oldest nephew, Jordan, turns ten today... It is so crazy to me how time has flown by since he was born. He has had a tough time the past few years with his parents getting a divorce and now his mom in engaged. It is a lot for a kid to deal with. I can't really understand anything that is going on in his mind because I, myself, have been blessed with parents who never did get divorced. I never had to go through that, so my heart always goes out my older three nephews...

I remember the day he came home with my older sister. You see, she was not married at the time he was born, both he and her lived with us a good chunk of his life... In fact, all three of the boys have lived with us for a good amount of time due to when her ex went into the army so she stayed with us while he was away, and then after they separated she came back home again with them.... In a lot of ways those three are more like younger brothers to me than nephews.

The above picture happens to be him with his baby brother, Keegan. It is so far, my favorite picture of him this year. It is so precious!

In the past ten years I have helped change this child's diapers, baby-sat for him, walked him around late at night when he did not want to go to sleep humming one lull-a-bye after another because that is what usually helped him stay quiet. I remember him taking his first few steps, and how his first word was "ight" a.k.a. light. I remember how he loved watching Raffi videos and dancing to the Beetles "Yellow Submarine." Then I also remember the time we had to take him to the emergency room because the sliding shower door somehow came off and landed on his little foot. He still has a scar from that. I have enjoyed playing "football" with him and joking around which team is better, the Chicago Bears, or the Indianapolis Colts. I have had fun having water balloon fights, and tickle fights, and play wrestling. I have enjoyed lots of silly string fights and walks to the neighborhood parks. I will always be happy to know I was the first person to ever take him "real" sledding, as he calls it (I didn't know there was a fake kind of sledding myself. lol). I remember never ending poker games, (he learned how to play poker very young), and watching Spongebob Square Pants episodes. The list of memories could go on and on...

I have loved every minute of being his Aunt and sharing precious moments with this kid. He can have his bad days, but even those I understand. I hope he knows that if he needs anything I will always be there for him.

So.... Happy Birthday, Jordan!!!

No comments: