Sunday, March 21, 2010

In the Home Stretch

I can't believe that the end of Lent is coming so close. We are pretty much in the home stretch now... it is a good time of reflection.

Today during the homily, Deacon Kellums talked mostly about how our lenten promises are a lot like new year's resolutions. They are something we made at the beginning of the year to help better ourselves spiritually. It is not really a mortal sin if we have screwed up on them, but that does not mean we should give up hope that we can work on what we wanted to and try it again.

With that in mind I decided to go back and refresh myself on what I wanted to do for lent this year... I promised to give up snacking for lent, and let me tell you some days that has been really hard for me, while others it was not so bad. I have realized even more about that line between what I think I want and what I really can live without. This "denying" myself of snacks has helped me become more aware of the fact that I have more control of my life than sometimes I realized. I am more stronger to say no to something that I want (like sin, for example) even though it is not what I need. I am no where near bullet-proof though. I am only human... As I mentioned before, there are days when I feel strong and am doing great and then I will look and happen to see someone eating a bag of kettle-cooked potato chips, and my mouth starts watering. It takes a lot of energy to then not think about how delicious those chips are so that I am not tempted to break-down and snack away.... Or when my brother randomly brings me home a cookies 'n cream blizzard from DQ just to be nice, and it is Monday night... I mean I ended up breaking-down and eating it. If you knew my brother, you would understand how BIG of a thing that was for him to do... he never hardly ever thinks of someone other than himself, and I felt really surprised when he came in with that blizzard for me. He forgot I gave up snacking for lent, and so since it was so surprising from my brother, I did eat it. My parents said it was ok since it was a gift.

All-in-all I think I am doing pretty ok with this promise. I only have two weeks to go, and I have every intention of not breaking-down on my promise until Easter. Wish me luck. :)

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I do..the last few days you've been an inspiration to me..even though that exact Lenten promise is not my own..I hope that helps, because it is true.