Friday, April 2, 2010

My Holy Thursday Evening

Today is Holy Thursday, as every Catholic should know. I spent quite a bit of time tonight remembering how I acted on this day last year versus this year. Last year on Holy Thursday I made some really really bad choices and ended up with the worst hang-over I have ever gotten in my life... whereas this year I spent it by going to not one, but two Masses and then a friend of mine's play he directed, "Agnes of God," after which the group all went to Taco Bell for some catching-up time.

It was interesting for me to attend two different Masses tonight... well actually I should say one and a third of another. You see I went to Mass at my home parish, which was done beautifully. After a few minutes spent with Jesus I immediately left to meet friends of mine at the other Catholic parish in town. While walking into the building I happened to notice my nose started to bleed and immediately headed for the bathroom. I texted a friend saying I would be out and we can leave for the play a.s.a.p.. Well my nose finally stopped bleeding and I walked out of the bathroom where I became very confused because everyone in the church was moving in a procession, and then I realized it was a Eucharistic procession, so I decided to go along with the crowd. It was very solemn and the latin hymns were sung beautifully as we walked around outside to the back entrance where we made our way back inside. It was very nice to be a part of it... and a nice surprise for me too...

After Mass my friends and I immediately got into cars and drove to watch my friend's play, "Agnes of God." For those of you who have never heard of this play I have to say it is a very interesting plot line. It is about a young nun, Agnes, is discovered, her body covered with blood, having just given birth. Her baby is found dead in the same convent room strangled by the umbilical cord. Dr. Martha Livingstone, a court-appointed psychiatrist, is brought in to
examine Agnes and determine whether or not she is fit to stand trial. Mother Miriam Ruth, the nun in charge of the convent, wishes to protect Agnes’ innocence throughout the interview process. Before and after Agnes’ sessions with the psychiatrist, Mother Miriam and Dr. Livingstone debate what is best for Agnes. During their discussions, Agnes’ life before she came to the convent becomes a central topic in trying to understand her innocence and beliefs. Dr. Livingstone also investigates Mother Miriam Ruth’s role in the events once she discovers Mother Ruth was present at the birth of the baby and had known previously about Agnes’ pregnancy. Throughout these exchanges, Dr. Livingstone questions Mother Miriam about earlier events in Agnes’ life. In the end it is revealed that Agnes was the one who killed her baby in an effort to “return the child to God.” I think it was tastefully done, and there are a number of Catholic humorous parts in the first half of the play. The second half is a lot more serious as the whole understanding of what really happened on the night the baby was born is unraveled. I highly recommend it to anyone if they ever happen to get a chance to see it.

All in all I think it was a nice Catholic evening spent for me. :)

1 comment:

Mike Keucher said...

Teresa,

I was very bummed I didn't get to see you last night!! Hopefully soon. Today I'm going to the noon service and it seems unlikely I'll get to go to the 7pm one. You'll be at the vigil won't you?

Which other parish in town are you talking about? St. Paul's? So everyone joins the procession there. Oh my.

Mike