Saturday, April 10, 2010

Whoever Thinks Alcohol Makes It More Fun Couldn't Be More Wrong


Last night I had a blast! A small group of my friends were going on a camp-out last night out in the country. At first I had no intention of going because everyone was wanting to leave around four thirty, and I do not get off of work till five thirty or so. After work I also made plans to meet some friends for dinner around six to catch-up on life. Not to mention I did not have direction to get to the land where they were. It was not until during dinner, my friend offered me a ride with him if I wanted to go since he knew where this place was, and I happily accepted it. It was somewhat an adventure trying to find the place, but that was part of the fun.

When we arrived I am very glad I thought to grab a flashlight from home, because it was very dark. We had to walk around this big barn in the dark to find the area where the group set-up the bon-fire. The barn itself is really nice. The girl whose land it is says that it is the place for lots of family get-togethers, especially fourth of July ones, and after hanging out in it, it is easy to see why. There was a big screen tv in there, a nice amount of tables, a bathroom, a loft... A very nice facility.

It was fun for me to see how everyone reacted when they realized I came since no one was expecting we. It was so much fun. We had s'mores, went star gazing, played tag in the dark. We also played scattergories, and there was some dancing lessons.

It is so nice to have groups of friends who know how to have fun without pulling out alcohol. I am not saying I don't like a cold beer every now and then, or go out to celebrate a birthday or end of a school semester. I just don't need it all the time to have fun, and it is nice to know that there are so many friends of mine who feel the same way.

It was really nice when the group left to look at the stars and we ended up having a spontaneous group prayer time. Only with my friends would we do that. I always feel in awe of God when I am looking up and see billions of stars up in the sky. I am filled with wonder and it is natural for me to have private conversation time with God while star gazing.

After my friend and I left we went to visit a friend at his house party, and I have to say I much prefer the atmosphere of being out in the country having fun to the one of the house party. Instead of the easy-going joking around kind of fun I enjoy these people were all about getting drunk, and dancing. Opposed to the tango some of us were learning in that barn, the party goers were doing obviously more provocative moves. The house was pretty much filled with cigarette smoke, and no offense to the smokers, but I could hardly breath. The smell of cigarette smoke actually makes me feel very naeseated after awhile, and so I was ready to get a breath of fresh air. While my friend and I were out on the front porch we viewed what could have ended up in a fight because one group of people did not want to pay a cover fee to get in... After about fifteen minutes or so my friend and I were very ready to head-out from that place.

So that was my Friday night... getting to know friends even more while having fun and realizing even more how I am so happy I do not feel the need to "party" to have a good time.

No comments: