Sunday, April 11, 2010

Trust. It's More Than Just A Five Letter Word

"You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you don't trust enough. "
~Frank Crane~

"We're never so vulnerable than when we trust someone - but paradoxically, if we cannot trust, neither can we find love or joy."
~Walter Anderson~


"To be trusted is a greater compliment than to be loved."
~George MacDonald~

Trust - 1 a : assured reliance on the character, ability, strength, or truth of someone or something b : one in which confidence is placed


Trust. A small five letter word, and yet it is such a huge deal.

I am the kind of person that tends to go into every relationship I have had with the idea that until this person does something to prove me wrong, why not trust them? I have found myself end up getting hurt more than once with this kind of view. I mean little things obviously are not going to make me angry. Sometimes I wonder why I always am open to that kind of hurt. If I should change my perspective a little. The more I think about it, the more I realize that if I were to change how I viewed a relationship when it comes to trust, I think I would be a very lonely person.

You see, I have realized that to have people I love dearly I have to be open to the possibility of getting hurt. Love is not something that will make every relationship perfect. Love is actually a scary idea. Letting someone know all the different things about you is a risk in itself because you are trusting that other person to not judge you for your past. You may think you can trust someone to react one way when they learn about a past mistake, but then you let them know and hope that what you thought about that person still holds true. That moment of waiting for their reaction is a very scary moment for anyone.

I am lucky that I do have some very close family members and friends who I can trust. Even though there have been a few times I have found myself hurt because I have opened up to someone, that number is so much smaller than the number of people who have not let me down. I am also blessed to be able to have friends who have put their trust in me and do not regret doing so. Because of this I know that I will not change the way I enter into my relationships because from my point of view it is working pretty well for me. Why change a good thing, right?

No comments: