Thursday, April 22, 2010

"Will you come and follow Me if I but call your name?"

In my hometown, this week-end happens to be known as "the best college week" thanks to the famous Little 500 week. It is the biggest "party" week of the year. Everyone seems to just use it as an excuse to get totally wasted. The students go a little crazy. That is why I was even more excited when the IU Catholic S.L.T. decided to put on another Eucharistic procession during this particular week. In the midst of partying we were able to bring Jesus, in the Blessed Sacrament to those on campus. We took him through the heart of it pretty much... down "frat row" is a nick name for it. There were some who were totally freaked-out by us... As we were praying the rosary, the Divine Mercy
Chaplet, and singing songs I noticed lots and lots of people pull out their cell phones to call their friends about what they were seeing. I glanced in some of the campus windows and saw people just staring out as we were passing. The Franciscan friars were passing out cards which explained what the procession was all about to the people we passed by. Some people took them, some looked at us like we were crazy, a few people would roll up their car windows when the friars were walking by their cars so that they would not have to talk to us. I am sure it was an interesting site to see for a lot of people... especially those who really had no clue about what we were doing and why we were doing it... I think my most memorable moment that made me laugh was when one of the servers went to hand a few guys one of the cards... the server walked up to the fraternity house and this incredibly drunk guy gave him a bear hug... and as the server walked away, he yelled out "So are you like Jewish or something?"

I have to say I am used to walking in March for Life walks. I am used to getting made fun of for standing up for the unborn, but as I walked in the Eucharistic procession it was so much more personal to me when I saw people who did not understand and kind of joked about it to the people around them. It was a humbling experience... I can honestly say I am so happy I was able to be a part of this.

If you look through the pictures below this paragraph I am in the second one. I am the girl with the bright pink shirt with the number 14 on the back... :)






No comments: