Monday, May 24, 2010

"Come Holy Spirit And Renew The Face Of The Earth..."
















As I mentioned in my last post I went down to Memphis, Tennessee this past week-end for my Aunt's wedding. It was a nice week-end filled with lots of family time. It was incredibly hot and humid in that town. The majority of the time I just felt like I would physically melt into a puddle... I am not gonna lie though, I enjoyed feeling that kinda heat for a short while... not the humidity though. Other than spending time with family, some of whom I have not seen since I was around 14, the highlight of my week-end was going to Mass at St. Anne's parish in Memphis. These are a few of the photos I took of the church. It was so pretty. There were even little alcoves of statues for St. Jude and the Sacred Heart which I did not post here, but are just as pretty.

The priest that was giving the homily was a very Catholic priest. He spoke about how much he loves the Holy Spirit. He talked about how many of us Catholics do not think to much about the third person of the Trinity, when in reality that is probably the one that we should really be the closest too considering that is who God and Jesus left us here with at Pentecost. The priest also mentioned how the very first novena the Church ever had is the Novena to the Holy Spirit... which is supposed to start on Ascension Thursday and goes until Pentecost Sunday.

What he said is true though... as much as I pray to God and Jesus, half the time I don't really think about the Holy Spirit. I guess it is something I still did not quite fully understand... I still do not, but after this homily a light bulb went on in my head and I realized I should be talking just as much to the Holy Spirit as I do with the other two persons of the Trinity.


PRAYER FOR THE SEVEN GIFTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
O Lord Jesus Christ Who, before ascending into heaven did promise to send the Holy Spirit to finish Your work in the souls of Your Apostles and Disciples, deign to grant the same Holy Spirit to ______ (name) that the Holy Spirit may perfect in their soul, the work of Your grace and Your love. Grant _____________(name) the Spirit of Wisdom that they may despise the perishable things of this world and aspire only after the things that are eternal, the Spirit of Understanding to enlighten their mind with Your divine truth, the Spirit of Counsel that they may ever choose the surest way of pleasing God and gaining heaven, the Spirit of Fortitude that they may bear their cross with You and that they may overcome with courage all the obstacles that oppose their salvation, the Spirit of Knowledge that they may know God and know themselves and grow perfect in the science of the Saints, the Spirit of Piety that they may find the service of God sweet and amiable, and the Spirit of Fear that they may be filled with a loving reverence towards God and may dread to displease Him in any way. Mark them, dear Lord with the sign of Your true disciples, and animate them in all things with Your Spirit so that _____________________________ (state intention) as You would have it be. Amen.

No comments: