Sunday, January 30, 2011

I Am Proud To Be Catholic!



I had a blast on my March For Life trip. There were so many fun and happy and great moments, but there were also a few not so high moments. I want to share a story of one of those not so great moments... The day of the march happens to be the only day the seminariens from St. Meinrad are allowed to wear collars. Our two seminarien friends were very excited to wear theirs. It was a fun time for them as they were enjoying random strangers calling them "Father." There was one instance though that was not so high. As we were walking after the march to find a less crowded metro station we crossed paths with a man who judged my two friends by the collar they were wearing... judging the whole priesthood really. You see, this man made a very rude comment to my friends as he walked by us. He said very loudly and clearly, "Pedophiles for Christ!" I was very offended by that comment, and I am sure my two friends were even more so. It is frustrating to think that people still have those feelings towards the Church. I received an e-mail from a friend today, and it fits perfectly to this issue. It is actually by a Jewish Rabbi which makes it even more powerful to me.



Excerpts of an article written by non-Catholic Sam Miller - a prominent Cleveland Jewish businessman:

"Why would newspapers carry on a vendetta on one of the most important institutions that we have today in the United States, namely the Catholic Church?

Do you know - the Catholic Church educates 2.6 million students everyday at the cost to that Church of 10 billion dollars, and a savings on the other hand to the American taxpayer of 18 billion dollars. The graduates go on to graduate studies at the rate of 92%.

The Church has 230 colleges and universities in the U.S. with an enrollment of 700,000 students..

The Catholic Church has a non-profit hospital system of 637 hospitals, which account for hospital treatment of 1 out of every 5 people - not just Catholics - in the United States today.

But the press is vindictive and trying to totally denigrate in every way the Catholic Church in this country. They have blamed the disease of pedophilia on the Catholic Church, which is as irresponsible as blaming adultery on the institution of marriage.

Let me give you some figures that Catholics should know and remember. For example, 12% of the 300 Protestant clergy surveyed admitted to sexual intercourse with a parishioner; 38% acknowledged other inappropriate sexual contact in a study by the United Methodist Church , 41.8% of clergy women reported unwanted sexual behavior; 17% of laywomen have been sexually harassed.

Meanwhile, 1.7% of the Catholic clergy has been found guilty of pedophilia. 10% of the Protestant ministers have been found guilty of pedophilia. This is not a Catholic Problem.

A study of American priests showed that most are happy in the priesthood and find it even better than they had expected, and that most, if given the choice, would choose to be priests again in face of all this obnoxious PR the church has been receiving.
The Catholic Church is bleeding from self-inflicted wounds. The agony that Catholics have felt and suffered is not necessarily the fault of the Church. You have been hurt by a small number of wayward priests that have probably been totally weeded out by now.

Walk with your shoulders high and you head higher. Be a proud member of the most important non-governmental agency in the United States .

Then remember what Jeremiah said: 'Stand by the roads, and look and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is and walk in it, and find rest for your souls'. Be proud to speak up for your faith with pride and reverence and learn what your Church does for all other religions.

5 comments:

Mike Keucher said...

THANK you for this Teresa!! I hope you don't mind my stealing it...

I'm glad to say I hadn't thought about that moment getting back on the Hill.

Teresa said...

You are welcome, Mike. :)

Teresa

Suzanne said...

I am sorry that this was said to our good friends and seminarians, Teresa.
However, you note, that Mike had not thought about it since his return. I think he owes that to the Holy Spirit, who somehow shields us at times, if we only allow Him to! Once I was standing on the street corner praying quietly for the unborn. Someone drove by and cursed me and almost ran over me. Somehow..at that moment, it was like I didn't even have "feelings" I felt numbed to it and thought about it later..God took over at that moment..it didn't hurt me, because I knew what I was standing for was right.
God will protect Mike and all of his good men and women who offer themselves to His service quite often, I think if we/they allow the Holy Spirit to do so and Mother Mary, for certain. :) There is dark in all walks of life..and yes, this man could sincerely believe that all priests are wrong, but in that, we know he needs our prayers, for not every person that is a priest is evil, by far and we hope in time that this man will be blessed in some way by someone to help. He can't be too happy in spiritual thinking to be so obsessed that he judges them all wrongfully. Lord, we ask you to help us all discern the right way to think and to pray for others. Amen.

Suzanne said...

PS..Sorry for my lengthy comments today..well sorta..anyway, I have read that piece by the Jewish person...isn't it wonderful?!

Teresa said...

Mom,

You are so right about how that man needs our prayers. It never works to win people over to our faith by throwing back angry comments or thoughts towards one another. That will just make things worse. Prayer is always the answer! :)

Teresa