Sunday, January 30, 2011

Working On This Whole Trust Thing...

Yesterday I took the chance to go to confession. It had been about a month since I had last gone, and although I did not really have too much to say I ended up going for some advice. As I mentioned in a previous post about a interesting moment that happened to me personally on my trip. I was still feeling a bit confused and unsure about what my future. Before I went into confession I prayed to God about what that all meant. I decided to open up the Bible and it opened to this passage:

Philippians 4:6-9

6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

That made me feel a little bit better, but still not fully at peace. I went into confession and told Father my list of sins. He then asked me if there was anything else that was troubling me about my relationship with God. I did not really plan on explaining the story of what happened on my trip, but when he asked me that I knew I had to get it off my chest. He then told me that that sort of thing happens a lot to lots of different people. He said that since this was the first time it had happened to me by a stranger it did not mean I am called as a nun. He told me to just leave it alone for now. If I am called to becoming a nun or sister than there will be more signs to come in my future, but for now to just not think about it at all. I felt an immediate sense of relief hearing that from my priest. For my penance he told me to keep praying to trust God and His plan for me. The more I thought about that penance the more I have realized that I really do need to pray more about trusting God. There have been some other things in my life over the past few years that have made me confused and frustrated about what God has planned for my future. So here's to me REALLY working on being relaxed while God takes the wheel.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Beautiful and sound advice, daughter.
Teresa, you know that your father and I pray for all of our children to find the right vocation, rather it be to marry or not. If to marry,to a good and holy person open to our Catholic Faith and willingness to pray and learn more about it for the rest of their lives. For you and your siblings, that if they marry, to be good spouses, friends, parents and of course open to life and children. If to be single, to grow in their Faith and ask God how he might use them in their singleness for Him, if to be a priest, a good and holy priest..one esp. who prays and that it is not just to be an "intellectual" priest only.
If to be a sister..a nun..a consecrated, one who is in a community of "joy" and to be able to use the gifts according to what Gifts of the Holy Spirit and talents they have ...nursing, teaching,etc. as the Church needs them so and to be happy with knowing Jesus and Mary are right beside you and your siblings each day of your lives and yes..that we all continue to learn to Trust Him.
It is a lifetime..and I'm still learning. I trust that God will continue to let you know as long as you ask. We stand beside you and pray. :) Once again and always, I love you..Momma (and of course, you know..Daddy also.)