Wednesday, October 28, 2009

"holy hour" All Souls Day reflection

Tonight I was able to go to "holy hour." I have not been able to attend one all semester and I have really missed it... Tonight we talked about all souls day... We talked about the way the church celebrates this feast day. Each of us went around the room and talked a little bit about a close family member or friend that has passed on and then we talked about one thing we all would do everyday in the month of November to help us keep that family member close to us. During the discussion I decided to talk a little bit about my grandpa Morgan....
My grandpa Morgan passed away when I was fifteen years, so about seven years ago now, from cancer... The things I remember most about him is that he was a fisherman. He loved to fish. It was his favorite thing to do. I remember how he would have us grand kids pose in pictures next to the fish he caught on his trips... I never was into fishing, but I did go a few times with him to spend time with him.
My grandpa was also a poet. He loved poetry and wrote it a lot. He was also proud that a lot of his children and grandchildren were pretty good at writing poetry too; a gift that I somehow did not catch onto sadly. He even compiled a book of our family's poetry and had it published. He donated a copy of it to the Monroe County Library, but I do not really know how, or even if, it was popular or not.
I also remember how he liked to call me his "piano girl." I remember one particular day my grandpa wanted to take me to a piano recital because he knew I was into anything having to do with the piano. Now, getting in the car with my grandpa was always an adventure which is why my mother very rarely let us kids get in the car while he drove. She did let me go with him that day. I can't tell you the names of the songs that were played or even the name of the person that played the piano. I just remember how special I felt because he went out of his way to do something he knew I liked to spend time with me. That is one of my favorite memories with my grandpa.
I have to admit that the times I think about my grandpa are now too few and too far between each other. There are so many inside jokes I hadn't thought about in so long that this exercise helped bring back. I sometimes wonder if I made him proud to be my grandpa....

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Oh, Teresa! Such a nice write up!
So many times in our family, he is remembered as being so crazy about fishing that he was selfish, but that was mostly in the earlier years, long before you knew him. By the time ya'll came along, he was much more willing and interested in people than fish! Ha! Still, yes, he loved to fish!

I sort of blame myself about the poetry deal. I got into very little poetry. I liked to write some of it myself, but for me, I had to be in a place, a mood, as in like an artist, you might say, and I had a difficult time getting that across to all of you when I would teach writing. It was much easier to teach creative writing or book reports than to have you write good poetry..as I felt you may need to be in the mood that I described and how could you get into a mood just by it being the "time" to write a poem on any given day. So, I hope you will try to learn to enjoy doing that now..poetry can come at anytime! I did encourage you all to write one, but not sure than any of you did...maybe Shane,I think did! Funny, huh?

Also, have I got a secret for you!
Grandpa thought you were a really neat kid..he used to tell me all the time how he knew I must be proud of you, that you were a really nice kid and he thought you would turn out to be someone I would continue to be happy about.
...Guess what? He was right!... In fact, I think it was you kids, who toned him down from some selfish ways to more giving ways and I think he would say..."Yeah, you're right!"

Anyway, what a good idea from your holy hour..you kids are great. :)
Thanks for sharing this too. Love, Mom