Thursday, June 4, 2009

I'm in the home stretch!

This week has gone by so fast. It's amazing how time seems to go by when you are having fun. I feel as though I've been going like the energizer bunny all week long between teaching c.c.d. classes all week and working with my 2 yr. old kids in the afternoon, and then going home and planning the next day's work for classes... I am very pleased with the way my week has gone by. I am more amazed with just how intelligent the third graders that I am working with are. I feel as though I need to challenge them more than hold off on the lessons, and they seem to be having fun for the most part too. Today we talked all about how we are made in God's image and then I had them make a collage of different people on big poster boards to show how we all are different, but we are all very much the same when it comes to our faith. We also talked about our heritages and where our families have come from. I had the kids read and act out the miracle of Jesus feeding the 5,000 people. The kids had a lot of fun with that. Some other major topics we happened to talk about were abortion and euthanasia and how life is to be kept and cherished from the moment they are in the mother's womb until death. We then read and acted out the parable of the Good Samaritan and talked about how everyone should be treated respectfully, whether the children get along with someone or not. I think my favorite part of the day, though, was when I had the kids sit in a circle and did a mini-affirmation activity.... I had them pull a name out of a box and asked them to say at least three things they liked and appreciated about the person who they ended up picking out of the box... It was nice to see the third graders take that activity seriously. I could tell they really liked it from the smiles on their faces. Even though I have been going non-stop this week, I am also some-what sad to see it end. Oh well.... life goes on.

3 comments:

Mike Keucher said...

Isn't it great how our weariness refreshes others?

Mini-affirmations!!! That's brilliant. We need to talk so I can know what people said about each other!!

I was bummed because I had a whole afternoon planned with Mother Teresa stuff but we spent nearly an hour in the church for confessions, so there wasn't near as much time as I expected. Oh well, they were all so happy after confessions!

Enjoy the last day of this wonderful week.

Oh, and I think you're their favorite...

Mike Keucher said...

Oh, and if I can swing it, I am going to try and duck out of the SI office to go to Mass with the class tomorrow morning. I don't know if I'll be successful or not, but I'm going to give it a shot.

Teresa said...

Mike:
I heard you ended up not being able to go to confession on Wed... The kids seemed really sad that they had to wait, which in my book, seemed great that they were so ready to go to confession... It would be neat if you could make it to Mass, but I'm sure we will get by without you... and as far as the "favorite is concerned... I thought Nick had that one in the bag.