Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I Am Called by Name

Since this week I have been having to figure out my class situation I have not had time to attend daily Mass at all. I am missing that a lot, but since I have not made it to Mass I have been trying to keep up with the daily readings... the readings for today can be found if you click here.

The reason I feel like writing about these particular ones is because of what the first reading was. The first reading as about Samuel being called by God while he was asleep. He did not recognize that it was God calling Him at first. He thought it was Eli, but as the night went on, Eli realized that it must be God trying to catch Samuel's attention and told him to tell God he is ready to listen if Samuel heard the voice again.

It can still be like that for me today. I can get so into my own life....running from one place to another... being with one group of friends and then leaving those people to meet another one of my many groups of friends. I always have a mental checklist going through my mind about what needs to be done and when and where I am supposed to be. Quiet time for me is very rare, and it usually happens when I am doing Eucharistic Adoration, to be quite honest. I go and go and go, I sometimes feel like the energizer bunny. I realize now that that is probably not the best way to hear God's voice. I ask Him constantly what He wants with me, but I do not give Him much one on one time to really listen to the answer. Maybe it is because I am partially afraid of what it is, and maybe it is because I am still wanting to be to selfish with my own time. Even though I part of me is a little nervous, a larger part of me really does want to do what He wants me to do... I know that God is calling me to do something great with my life, just like He is calling everyone else to do something great with theirs. His plan is the best after all, it just may not seem like it in the beginning. So my resolution to the whole busy problem is that everyday I am going to set aside some time at home to sit in my room quietly with no music in the background and talk with God... hopefully that way it will be easier for me to hear what He wants of me.

Now I am off to find out about this next class... wish me luck!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe Godisn't calling you to great things maybe God is going to ask you to do small things with great joy. That is how St. Therese the Little Flower saw her life.

Be open to where God leads, even if it isn't to something great, but simply to something ordinary. Do all things with great Joy for the Lord and you will be well on the way to beign the person God created you to be.

Suzanne said...

Yup...I second that! :)

Mike Keucher said...

Teresa,

Amen indeed. God wants something great from us all. True enough, sometimes the smallest, littlest things ultimately turn out to be the greatest. Mother Teresa reminds me of this all the time. She did so much, but her approach was little by little, brick by brick, smile by smile.

Speaking of her and your post, I am reminded of these words from her: "God is a friend of silence. The more we engage in silent prayer, the more we can give in our active life."

I might make a recommendation, just because it worked beautifully for me. Maybe before or after your day, spend ten minutes or so in the church. For years I did the "pray in my room before bed" thing, and there's lots of value in that. But there's something wonderful about simply being in His presence in the church. Plus, it's very peaceful and silent--enough that it becomes easier to hear what God has to say.

Mike

Teresa said...

angelmeg: St. Therese happens to be one of my favorite saints growing up. Even now I look at her own little way and try to use it in my own daily life. I do not know if I come close to it, but I do try...

Mike: As you know, I am named after Mother Teresa. I am a huge fan of hers! She was such an amazing person... Thank-you also for the advice. For some reason, when I read the "I might make a recommendation" part of your quote I knew you were going to recommend that. I agree that there is something about being in His presence... so thanks for mentioning it to me again.