Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Unseen House Guest

My mom happens to have a calendar by the computer that has a daily quote on it... today's quote says:
"The more we invite God into the details of our lives, the more likely we will be to encourage other people rather than tear them down."

After reading this quote it made me remember a story about my sister's almost father-in-law. My sister's fiancee came over one night and told me his dad has gone off the deep end. He said his father really did go crazy this time. I asked him why, and he told me this.... He said that at the dinner table that night he pulled up an extra empty chair and told everyone that that was Jesus' seat at the table. His mom missed that apparently because she went to sit in it without realizing the importance of the chair. Anyway, the father got very upset with her for sitting in Jesus' chair at the table.

I am not gonna lie. I did chuckle at this story. I never would have thought to pull up an extra chair at the dinner table for Jesus, nor am I probably ever going to do that... but thinking about the daily quote and the story I was told, there is something to what my sister's boyfriend's father was trying to do...

I think that if we do keep in mind that Jesus is the "unseen" visitor of our house then I have a feeling we would change a lot of our daily habits... I mean, let's face it... Jesus is always here. He sees everything, knows everything... so being reminded of that has made me rethink a few things, like what television shows I watch that may not be the greatest, or the music I listen to is not always the most appropriate I suppose... So maybe even if I do not physically pull up a chair for Jesus, mentally I am going to keep His presence in my mind and try to act accordingly....That is what has been on my mind today, and thought I would share it on my blog here...

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

There was/is something to that.
My teacher used to tell us to make room in our chairs, esp. during test time, for our Guardian Angels to have a seat...so...what is the difference...hey..he was talking about even better than that..he was talkin bout JESUS! ;)