Monday, June 28, 2010

Definition of Teresa McConnell: Child of God; Roman Catholic... That's Me!

There is an exercise we did during this past year's "holy" hours with the student life team. During one of our Eucharistic Adoration times we were supposed to write down who we thought we were... If someone were to ask who we were how would we answer... Other than just our names that is. What makes us who we are... I ended up pulling this out from under my bed today. I totally forgot about that exercise until I read it. Here is what I wrote out:
I am Teresa Allison McConnell, a child of God. I am a Catholic. I am the daughter of Danny and Suzanne McConnell. I am both a younger sister and an older one. I am a grand daughter, niece, and cousin. I am an Aunt with four beautiful nephews. I am a friend. I am not at all perfect. I am a sinner with the goal of ending up somehow as a saint. I am a caregiver. I am a teacher. I am a musician. I am a writer and a thinker. I try to be a peacemaker within my group of family and friends, but sometimes it does not work out that way. I am a listener and a shoulder to cry on when need be. I am a fighter and lover. I am unique, one of a kind. I am me.


After writing this all down we were supposed to narrow it down. If something were to happen to us that would cause us to not be able to do any of the above... say a freak accident that causes someone to lose sight or not be able to walk, then what would truly define who we were... It made us think about how really at the end of the day the only person we have to rely on is God and our faith... Being Catholic and a child of God, more than anything else, should be enough of an introduction for people to realize who we are. It was a good reflective exercise I must say.

No comments: