Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Water Fun! :)

The main reason why I enjoy my job is because I get to relive my childhood in so many ways. This week is definitely one of the most fun ways to go back into my childhood. It is "water week." This week is so much fun. We pull out slip-n-slides, all sorts of different types of sprinklers, and even just spray the kids with the hose. I love it. I takes me back to the days when one of the coolest things to do in the Summer with my neighborhood friends was to pull out the old sprinkler my dad had. We would spend hours jumping through it. Picking it up and spraying each other with it when we wanted to be really sneaky. Shrieks and giggles of happiness is a sound I enjoy.

Some people ask me why in the world I enjoy being a daycare teacher. They think I am crazy. They think something must seriously be wrong with me...Some days I wonder that about myself when I have a long and hard day with the kids. I remember when I was about eleven or so. I could have sworn to myself at that age that I would find a way to Neverland where I could stay a kid forever. I now know that as much as it would be fun to stay a kid for life, in all reality, it should not be that way. We all have to grow up and take responsibility for our actions. We have to help make a difference in the world. Just because we have to grow up, does not mean we have to lose some of the fun that went along with being a kid. The reason I enjoy being a daycare teacher is that it does help me to relive my childhood in a lot of ways. Not only does it do that, but I also get to help the kids I teach have as good and happy childhood as possible. I want to have the children I have taught to think back on their daycare days with smiles on their faces because it was a happy time for them. Hopefully with weeks like "camping week" and "water fun" week I am on my way to letting that happen. :)

2 comments:

Mike Keucher said...

what a beautiful post. the sound of happy children makes me think of innocence and the joy we are all called to. i have no doubts you are making a huge difference! you and I are blessed with a very happy childhood. i'm glad you're doing as much as you are to make others have a good childhood they can look back on and smile at.

Teresa said...

Mike,

You are too right about having a good childhood.! Great times here in Bloomington. I am always happy when kids that used to be in the daycare still come running up to me to say hi and receive a hug. It really does make my day. It lets me know that so far I have doing a pretty good job with the goal I have set for myself. :)

Teresa