Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Forgiving Is Part Of Loving

Jesus said to his disciples:

“You have heard that it was said,

You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.

But I say to you, love your enemies

and pray for those who persecute you,

that you may be children of your heavenly Father,

for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good,

and causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust.

For if you love those who love you, what recompense will you have?

Do not the tax collectors do the same?

And if you greet your brothers only,

what is unusual about that?

Do not the pagans do the same?

So be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect.”
~Matthew 5:43-48~


The above happens to be the Gospel for today's readings. It is always a hard one for me to learn from... Love your enemy... Now, I am not one to really have many enemies. I tend to not have any problems with the people I meet, but occasionally there are times when I do have an issue with someone. Usually it is something that is a pretty big deal before I have a problem with someone; talking about me behind my back, saying something very hurtful when it is not warranted, these are just a few examples.

Today in father's homily he also talked about how hard it is to forgive those who hurt us. He asked us two questions. Who are my enemies? How do I show love to my enemy? I suppose the best way to show love to my "enemy" is by really forgiving them. Forgiving them and then moving on. That is easier said than done sometimes, but do it we all must. I sometimes think of myself as a forgiving person, but then I remember a few people who have hurt me in the past and realize that I am not totally that way. I will begin working on that now!

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I know what you are saying. It has been helping me to know that God is in control, to say a prayer for the person, and let go and let God. When most people wake up to their selfish ways, if they want to be children of God, they do really feel bad and ashamed..sometimes it takes and sometimes it doesn't, but usually, it smacks us all in the behind someday. Also, it helps to look at the more serious issues in life and some things people say are just plain nonsense and if we know in our hearts we haven't done anything particularly wrong or messed up, then we let that sink in..the truth of who we are and who God sees in us and that is what matters. :)