Monday, August 2, 2010

The Church Is Most Definitely Universal

Today I was reminded again how universal the Mother Church is. I attended a Mass here in town that was completely in Polish. Even the reading and Gospel were in Polish. There were a few times when the priest spoke English during the homily, but other than that I did not really understand to much, and yet I pretty much understood all the main parts. I knew when the congregation was saying "Lord have mercy. Christ have mercy. Lord have mercy." I could tell when everyone was responding "Thanks be to God" and "Praise to You, Lord Jesus Christ." I knew pretty much what the priest was saying during the Liturgy of the Eucharist. I totally got it, because it was exactly the same, only in a different language. I enjoy attending Mass whenever it is said in other languages, because it really does remind me just how incredibly huge the Catholic Church is. It really is a blessing to know wherever I go I will be able to find a Catholic Church and go to Mass. I may be in a strange country, but during Mass, it will not feel so foreign to me. I will have my church family with me wherever I go. Not everyone is able to say that. It is something I am always thankful for.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Isn't it wonderful to be a Catholic at times like this? Yet...everyone is invited! Everyone! :) Glad you went..I would have if I could have.

Mike Keucher said...

Indeed..the Church is universal. What better way to celebrate that universal nature by our one, common language: Latin. But I'm glad you had a good time. I'm sure Ania loved it!