Thursday, August 26, 2010

"It's Big. It's Red. It's Metal With Water. It's Big. It's Red. It's Metal With Water...

... the fire truck comes to put out the flames. The fire truck comes to put out the flames."


This has been the soundtrack to my day at work today. A song about a fire truck. After awhile the song that was once about a fire truck ended up morphing into one about a dump truck, a garbage truck, an ice cream truck, a race car, a police car, and finally a tractor (all of which yours truly made up on the spot due to popular demand). It takes an amazing amount of creativity and genuine excitement over things as silly as truck and car songs to help make a great pre-school teacher. I have quickly come to the conclusion that the more joy I put into my work the more excited the children become of what we will be talking about. Finding activities which not only enrich a child's mind, but really interest them as well is more of a challenging task than some may realize.

It is also easier to do my job and feel comfortable letting out my inner child when I work with people who understand how important being on the child's level is. Part of the reason I enjoy working where I do is because of my co-workers. We are all really crazy and get involved with the activities as much as the children do. We laugh, joke, and really do have a great time. I have been able to observe a number of different child care facilities and I have noticed that the ones where the kids seem the happiest happen to be the ones where the faculty members are happy. I am one lucky person to have such a fun job, even if that does mean that at the end of the day I will have a silly truck song stuck in my head for the rest of the night. I thank God every night for being so blessed.

"It's big! It's Red! It's metal with water...."

No comments: