Monday, December 28, 2009

I Got the Message! :)

The picture above is of my older brother before he died... I know I have mentioned him in past entries and if you are interested in reading about him you can click on here. Well as I mentioned in that particular post one of the songs we always associate with my brother is the song, "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." It seems as though every time we have a special celebration going on this song will randomly come on whether it is over a t.v. commercial, or on American Idol when a singer chooses to sing it, or when The Wizard of Oz randomly plays on t.v.... it always seems to happen. The reason why it is so special to us and we think of David every time it plays is because one of his stuffed animals had a music box that would play the tune of that song, and when he died the music box was playing in the background....

Anyway, yesterday I was at home with my mom just relaxing and taking it easy. I was reading the newest Nicholas Sparks book (which is a bit of a tear jerker) while laying on my living room couch. I was really getting into the book when my mother came in with a box filled with newspaper clippings and all sorts of pictures from fund raisers that went on for my brother. She said she was cleaning her room when she bumped into it and decided she wanted to look through it. I always knew the story about my brother, but being able to look through all the news coverage about my brother was really interesting for me. There was even one letter to the editor that a little girl wrote about how unfair it was that my brother had to pay for his liver transplant while an older man got something done to his heart for free... It was nice to look through it all, because for me, that is all I really have as a connection with him since he died before I was born. I don't have stories or memories of my own to go by. I have to go by stories from older family members and the old newspaper clippings and the videos my grandpa took of some of the fundraisers... it was a nice time with my mother and I.

Well today my mom and I were both sitting here in the living room kind of glum about how the Colts game ended up. I was watching Bones and my mom was messing around facebook. I decided to see what else was on tv during a commercial break and I flipped through the stations on the tv when I hit one channel, and what was playing on this channel? The movie, "The Wizard of Oz," and at what moment did catch the movie on? Right at the few moments before Judy Garland starts singing the song "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." I looked at my mom and I said mom do you hear this? She stopped and said, "Yeah, Somewhere Over the Rainbow... Why?" then I looked at her and asked, "And what were we going through yesterday, just the two of us?" And at that moment it hit her. We were both speechless for the time she was singing. About five minutes later my nephews came in through the door. It just amazes me that it was just my mother and I looking through all that stuff, and it was just my mother and I that heard that song. I knew right then that it was him saying, "Hey! I know you were missing me, so I thought I would just remind you I am here." It was another cool "David" moment, as I like to call them. :)

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Absolutely and God orchestrated the whole thing and our angels made sure the timing went just right and somehow...we mortals..listened! ;)
THEN, three more precious little boys came bustling through the doors to still play with, love, and hug...one having the same name Jordan David.......I'm speechless and in awe now!