Saturday, December 12, 2009

Typology: Moses and Jesus

As I mentioned in my last post, my Bible study group has just finished studying the book of Exodus... I found this little graph that shows the typology between Moses and Jesus if anyone is interested in reading it....


MOSES JESUS
An evil king/Pharaoh tried to kill him as a baby: Exodus 1:22 King Herod tried to kill baby Jesus: Matthew 2:16
He was hidden from the evil king/Pharaoh: Exodus 2:2 An angel said to hide the child from the evil King Herod: Matthew 2:13
Moses was sent into Egypt to preserve his life: Exodus 2:3-4 Jesus was taken into Egypt to preserve His life: Matthew 2:13-15
He was saved by women: his mother: Exodus 2:3; Miriam 2:4; Pharaoh's daughter 2:5-10 Saved and helped by His mother, Mary: Matthew 2:14
Pharaoh's daughter adopted Moses: Exodus 2:10 Joseph adopted Jesus: Matthew 1:25
Moses became a prince of Egypt: Exodus 2:10 Jesus is the Prince of Peace: Isaiah 9:5; Matthew 28:18; Luke 2:14
Long period of silence from childhood to adulthood Long period of silence from childhood to adulthood
Moses had a secret identity Messianic secret = Jesus the Son of God
He tried to save a Hebrew kinsman: Exodus 2:11-12 Jesus came to save His Hebrew kinsman first: Mark 7:26-28
Went from being a prince to a pauper: Exodus 2:15-19 Went from being God to being man: John 1:1-3; Mark 6:3
Saved women at a well: Exodus 2:15-19 Saved a woman at a well: John chapter 4
Became a shepherd: Exodus 3:1 He is the Good Shepherd: John 10:11
Moses' mission was to redeem Israel from slavery to Egypt Jesus' mission is to redeem mankind from slavery to sin
Moses was loved and supported in his ministry by his sister Miriam [in Hebrew, Miryam] Jesus was loved and supported in his ministry by His mother Mary [in Hebrew, Miryam]
He was often rejected by his own people Jesus was often rejected by His own people
Moses will give God's law on the mountain of Sinai: Exodus 20:1-31:18; 34:1-35 Jesus will give the new law from the Mt. of Beatitudes: Matthew chapter 5
Moses spent 40 days fasting on the mountain: 24:18;34:28 Jesus spent 40 days fasting in the desert wilderness: Matthew 4:2
Moses performs signs/ miracles Jesus performs signs/miracles
Moses offered his life for the salvation of his people after the sin of the Golden Calf: Exodus 32:33-33 Jesus offered His life for the salvation of the world: Isaiah 53:12; Romans 5:12; 6:10; 2 Corinthians 5:15-21; Colossians 1:19-20; 2:14-15; 1 John 1:7; 2:2; etc.
Moses is the prophet of the Old Covenant Church Jesus is the prophet, priest, and King of a New and everlasting Covenant = the universal Catholic Church [note catholic means universal]

4 comments:

Ben said...

That's a really cool comparison chart. I hadn't thought about a lot of those things before. I know that Paul used Moses quite a bit in his writings to contrast the old and new testaments. Very cool! I just read through the old testament again this year, and I was surprised by how new it all felt, even though I've read it a couple of times before. Exodus is a rad book. I'm jealous of your study :)

Teresa said...

Ben,

I know right? I have not ever really looked at the Old Testament for typology things like this, but since the Bible study I go to has been doing that I am surprised at myself for not looking for those connections before... and boy are there a lot of them too! Thanks for stopping by my blog again!

Teresa

Ben said...

Totally. I'm sorry I was gone for a long time. Life got super busy all of a sudden and I wasn't able to do any kind of blogging for about 3 months. But now that that's over, I'm enjoying getting to check out what I've missed.

Todd said...

What is interesting is that Matthew tells us that the fulfillment of the propehcy, “Out of Egypt I called my son,” was when God called them to leave Jerusalem and travel to Egypt. In other words, Jerusalem had become a place of slavery and oppression. It had become a Sodom and Egypt (Revelation). Moses leads Israel, the firstborn son of God, out of Egypt carrying unleavened bread. Jospeh leads Mary out of Jerusalem carrying the true Bread from heaven in her arms, the Firstborn Son of God through the resurrection from the dead.