Wednesday, December 30, 2009

So, how do you see Jesus?

Tonight I went to daily Mass. The gospel was about the story of when Mary and Joseph brought baby Jesus to the temple and how the elderly man, Simeon recognized that Jesus was the savior he had been waiting for.

During the homily the priest asked us how we see Jesus in our daily lives. I thought about that question a little bit and realized that there are many people I see Jesus in. For example; when I am feeling a little frustrated at work and one of the kids will come up to me and say "I love you." I see Jesus in them at that moment and I love it... Or when I am having an awful day and a friend of mine looks at me, gives me a hug, and then tells me to tell them what's wrong and then they listen without judging... I see Jesus in them at that moment. Or when my oldest nephew helps take care of his younger brothers because he knows his mother is exhausted after working on her feet all day. I see Jesus in him. I realized again that I see Jesus a lot, but I do not recognize it always. That seems to be a theme in my life lately. I need to slow down and recognize little things from God more often then I do to really appreciate how He helps me in my day to day life.

The second part of his homily was about how we help others see Jesus through our own actions... It's a give and take thing, just like in every other aspect of my faith. I really enjoyed this priests homily today. I needed to hear it very much!

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

I needed to read this too.

Mike Keucher said...

It was a great homily, by golly. I'm glad you posted this.