Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Heart-stopping moment

Today was a very stressful day for me. Starting off mornings with a fight with my mother is never ever fun, and kinda dampened the rest of the day. Little did I know that I would totally forget about after another unexpected event was about to happen to me....

Today, while waiting for my last child to get picked up I had the biggest scare of my life. My older sister came to see me at the daycare, and at first I thought she was really mad at me for something because the first thing she said to me when I saw her was, "I need to talk to you now ALONE!" and the look she gave me when she said that was one of the scariest faces I had ever seen from her. I began to wonder what in the world I had done to her to make her so angry with me. I followed her into the hall where she asked me if anyone had brought Isaiah down to the daycare from school, and since no one had done that before I kinda looked at her with a confused look and told her no they had not brought him down to me. I asked her why she came to ask me that, and then that's when she informed me that Isaiah was missing. I gotta tell you, when I heard those words and they finally registered in my brain I felt as though my heart had stopped beating. I looked at her and started asking her all sorts of questions about when he went missing, where she'd looked, why hadn't anyone called me before now, and other questions like that. Maria said she'd been searching all over the place trying to find him for about an hour, after she had gone to pick him up from the Boys and Girls club and they informed her he was never dropped off there. She was just about to go down to the after care in hopes that he'd be there. When I went back to my class room I must have looked really bad because everyone wanted to know what was wrong, so I told them my nephew was missing and I needed to leave to go help find him. My boss told me I could leave and I immediately went to go find my sister. When I was out in the parking lot my youngest nephew started calling my name, and I turned and looked at him. He had been crying quite a bit and said he was scared for Isaiah. I did not want to leave him alone while he was so worried so I stayed with him in the car while I waited for Maria to show back up. About 10 minutes later my oldest nephew, Jordan, cam out of the school and I asked him if Isaiah was there and he said yes he was. I can't tell you the relief I felt hearing those words, and I asked Jordan to stay with Aaron while I went to see Isaiah and give him a hug.

Usually after school my nephew and another group of kids who all go to the Boys and Girls club walk together to the school across the street where the bus for the club picks them up. Today, however, there were thunderstorms all day long, and it was just to dangerous for them to walk to the bus, so instead they stayed with the after-care program at the school. I am so grateful that Isaiah was not really hurt or have something really serious happen to him, and it was all a miscommunication thing between my sister and the school! It made it even more fun to hang out with my boys tonight while celebrating my birthday together.

4 comments:

Mike Keucher said...

Teresa, I knew things weren't so great when, after I asked how you were doing, you said "Good," but corrected yourself, "okay." And that was before this whole incident!

What a scare indeed. What's funny is that the extended care director, Emily, was trying to get ahold of Isiah's mother from about 4:30 on, since he normally doesn't attended after care. Since I haven't seen him too many times, I didn't put it together that he was Maria's son! Emily was trying to get ahold of Maria while you were doing dishes in the kitchen!! How about that.

Mike

Teresa said...

Yeah, that's what Becky was telling Maria when I walked in to find Isaiah. Becky looked at me, and then that's when she remembered that I was Isaiah's Aunt. She told me she felt so bad that she forgot all about him and I being related. I'm just glad he was in a safe place!
I also heard he played "Sorry" with you today...

Mike Keucher said...

Yes. It was quite a game, too!!!

He won. Sigh.

Teresa said...

lol. He loves that game! Every time they come over the two younger ones have Crista and I play it at least four times....