Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"Remember Me?"

One problem I happen to always have to work more on is not gossiping about other people; especially when it come to the people I work with. I try hard not to be the one gossiping about things, but every so often I catch myself doing just that. I happened to find an interesting poem and I keep it in my room. I try to read it every so often to remind myself what gossiping can do to someone's reputation....

Remember Me?

My name is Gossip.
I have no respect for justice.
I maim without killing. I break hearts and ruin lives.
I am cunning, malicious, and gather strength with age.
The more I am quoted, the more I am believed.
I flourish at every level of society.
My victims are helpless. They cannot protect themselves
against me because I have no name and no face.
To track me down is impossible. The harder you try, the
more elusive I become.
I am nobody's friend.
Once I tarnish a reputation, it is never the same.
I topple governments and wreck marriages. I ruin
careers and cause sleepless nights, heartaches, and indigestion.
I spawn suspicion and generate grief. I make innocent
people cry in their pillows. Even my name hisses.
I am called GOSSIP. Office gossip-Shop gossip- Party gossip-
Telephone gossip. I make headlines and
headaches. REMEMBER, before you repeat a story, ask
yourself: it is true? Is it fair? Is it necessary??? If not, do not
repeat it. KEEP QUIET!
GREAT minds discuss ideas.... Average minds discuss
events... Shallow minds discuss people... Which are you?

2 comments:

Mike Keucher said...

Well, maybe, but you are quite the secret keeper, which is, ultimately, a good thing. But it does make getting information out of you downright impossible.

Suzanne said...

Yep..you are the secret keeper allright!
I like this..I've moved pretty much out of the people gossip of the early years in life when girls are foolish like that. I need to move more from average discussions to the idea discussions. I'm working on it.:)