Thursday, May 28, 2009

R.I.P. Fr. Charlie


Today happens to be the first anniversary of a dear priest and friend, Fr. Charlie. He was the priest that gave me my first Communion, the one I went to for my first confession, and the one that was there for my Confirmation. I remember when I went in for my interview before I got Confirmed very well. I remember sitting down with him, and he looked at me and said "Oh yes, you're a McConnell. You're Danny and Suzanne's daughter," and then he smiled at me and told me, "Now, don't tell you're other two sisters, but I think you've ended up being the prettiest one out of the three." Now, whether he was just being nice or he was really telling me the truth, I still don't know, but I remember feeling happy hearing that from Fr. Charlie, but then again, he always liked to brag about having the "best looking parish." Anyway, back to the interview.... I remember he asked me what I wanted to do with my life, and when I told him I was wanting to go to college to become a teacher, I remember he got the biggest smile on his face. He said, "You know, I've watched you help out with those kids during c.c.d. classes, and let me tell you, I wouldn't have picked a better job for you myself. I think that is just great, and I was hoping you'd say that." Hearing someone other than my parents say that helped solidify what I wanted to do with my life. He was a great priest, and I still miss him a lot...

Tonight, in honor of him, a group of us went out to eat at a favorite restaurant of his called "Chapman's." Interestingly enough, I was the youngest one at that table, but it did not bother me so much. I enjoyed hearing other stories about Fr. Charlie, and it was a nice way to remember him.

2 comments:

ukok said...

What a lovely way to rememeber a wonderful priest :-)

Mike Keucher said...

I'd say "the best looking parish" is a great description of St. Charles! I've noticed this myself, and I remember him saying that so often.

Thanks for sharing this story of your interview. He always had such a keen way of encouraging people and lifting them up! His humor never put anyone down, but always lifted up. There's a great lesson in that.

Mike