Saturday, May 2, 2009

Hopeless Romantic


Last night as I was watching my very very favorite movie ever, "Pride and Prejudice" (the 2005 version) it made me realize how much we overlook some signs of affection.One of my very favorite scenes in the movie is when, after Jane has finally gotten over her cold while staying at Mr. Bingly's mansion, Lizzy and Jane are getting in their carriage to leave his home. Elizabeth Bennet says good-bye to both Mr. Bingly and Mr. Darcy, and as she is about to climb into the carriage Mr. Darcy takes her hand to help her get into it. Now a days no one thinks twice about something like that, but back in those days that was a huge thing... the touching of skin on skin was a big deal. Even when couples danced the gentlemen always wore gloves so that there would be no skin contact.

Today, it seems to me that so many people out there are ready to skip the intimate stuff and just jump in the bed and, well, you know what usually comes after that. I don't understand why that is, because to me, the little stuff is what I get excited about most, you know when you first make eye contact and there is that moment when you can't really think of anything except those eyes, or that awkward stage of wondering if and when he'll hold you're hand.... will he? won't he? Or when he is with you in a social gathering and he looks at you or touches your hand or even makes a joke at your expense, just to let everyone know you're with him. You're his. The anticipation is half the fun to me as the actual action... Maybe that's why I love the time period Jane Austin lived in, because they seemed to really understand how important those things which people now think of as nothing much are, and how important it is to save sex for marriage. What can I say, I am a hopeless romantic at heart, and I do not think I will ever really grow out of that.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

No one should completely grow out of being a bit of a romantic! Its well...it makes life a little more interesting, doesn't it and I'm in agreement with you..the harmless and fun interactions with others keeps curiosity going and its just fun sometimes. :) I agree with the other things you had to say here, as well. Also...a man would not think of letting a woman get into a carriage without their assistance...how many guys hold a car door open for a lady now. Women! What have we done?
Its so much better to expect respect and then give it back with gratefulness and joy! Good post, Teresa!

Ben said...

I love that movie!! And I couldn't agree more with you. There's so much that's been lost in the modern age. But I'm like you, just an old-fashioned romantic dreaming that something rare really is out there to find. Thanks for the inspiration! I'm glad I found your blog.

Teresa said...

Thank, Ben, for that comment. I am glad you found my blog too! :)

Teresa said...

Thank, Ben, for that comment. I am glad you found my blog too! :)