Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Can't seem to wake up and stay warm...

Today has for some reason been a more tiring day... I think it has mostly to do with the fact that I have been kind of fighting off a cold all week. I was colder than usual today, and could not stop yawning. When I signed into yahoo today one of the news head lines caught my eye. It said "12 Health Mysteries Explained." I found out some interesting facts about different things, and if you're at all interested in reading more, you can click here. I have put some of the article here.


Why Do So Many Women Have Cold Hands and Feet?

Blame it on circulation. “The nerves that control blood flow to the hands and feet are more sensitive in women than in men,” says Mark Eskandari, M.D., a vascular surgeon at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, in Chicago. “So when the temperature drops, their vessels constrict more, warming blood flow slows, and their extremities feel cold.” Women also have lower blood pressure than men. “When they’re cold or stressed and their blood pressure drops, blood is redirected to the heart and away from the hands and feet,” he says. "Some experts believe that women tend to hold heat in the core, where the heart and uterus are, so they can protect developing fetuses," notes James Applegate, a family doctor in Grand Rapids, Michigan. But this is just a theory.

Why Is Yawning Contagious?

No one knows for sure, but a study published in a recent issue of the journal Cognitive Brain Research theorizes that yawning in response to someone else’s yawn may be an empathetic response, similar to laughter. “A yawn can be triggered not only by seeing a person yawn but also by hearing, reading about, or even just thinking about yawns,” says Steven Platek, Ph.D., a professor of psychology at Drexel University, in Philadelphia, who directed the research. Platek and his colleagues believe that contagious yawning may be a primitive way of modeling our feelings after other people’s.

4 comments:

Teresa said...

For me..the yawning thing is pretty simple. When I'm sleepy, I yawn sometimes..when I see someone else yawn..it simply makes me think of being sleepy and I feel like yawning and if I am the slightest bit tired..a yawn will emerge. I don't know if I'm as smart as those brain research people, but there you have it! :0!!!

Teresa said...

Mom, you forgot to sign out of my name again....lol Love ya!

Suzanne said...

Oh..oops..ha..ha...been eating at Nibles too much lately, I s'pose!
BWAHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teresa said...

Nibles.... Oh, Mom. You are so lucky I'm good at keeping secrets... I so want to tell Crista that story.