Thursday, July 23, 2009

Why can't everyone just get along????

I am a person who hates conflict, so I try to avoid it at all costs. Sometimes, though, I obviously can't avoid it, and so then I have to deal with it. Over the past few months there has been some drama within a group of my friends, and until recently I have been able to avoid getting involved. You see, about a month ago a nice sized group of my friends all planned a fun trip to King's Island, I think altogether it would have been seven or eight of us. About two weeks ago, some of them got into a fight, and they all came to me to be the "mediator" I guess you could say. Being the mediator of arguments can be one of the most frustrating positions, and after about a week of being the "go to" person, I had to tell them to leave me out of it, and that may have caused me more problems than it did to help keep my sanity.... The big King's Island week-end trip has finally come, but only a few of us are going because some people are not talking to others, and now my younger sister is giving me the silent treatment over going. At first I was tempted to back out of the trip because the person I was mainly going to see, a very old friend of mine, almost had to back out of the trip too, but when she said she definitely was going I decided to go afterall. At first I felt bad about my sister not going because she could not get off of work, but lately, her attitude towards me has made me think twice. In fact, I am more excited to get out of town for awhile and away from the drama because of it. It's times like this when I want to just have some sort of magic power and go *poof* and make everyone get along and stay happy. So since I don't have that magic power, to save me from excess stress I am going to go on this week-end trip and hang out with my friends and have fun, because I've gotten to the point where I am so over it all.

3 comments:

Mike Keucher said...

I ask myself that question all the time. Why can't people just be happy?

As a fellow peacemaker, I sympathize with your position. It's never an easy place to be, that is, to be the one person everyone gets along with. Because then both sides try to get you on theirs, and sometimes get angry at you because you don't ally yourself with them in the particular argument.

Ah well, I think it's a good place to be anyway.

Have a great time!!!

Mike

Suzanne said...

Crista came and apologized...hopefully the others will too. This is all very very common..it is similar and in connection with cutting the apron strings from momma. Your group of friends are going through alot of changes...they aren't particularly sure what they want..they want to grow and move on, but only partly and then when there is a chance for everyone to do something everyone wants it to be sorta like it was before, but some are still going to do this little thing different from that one and some form of jealousy comes into play. This has happened down through all times in this age group, I am willing to be. Sounds very similar to when I was your ages.
Also, I hope you have a nice time and a safe time..hold each other accountable about the important things...that is still what true friends do. I know Crista loves you and loves being with you..sometimes we get really more upset when we really want to be with someone and it doesn't work out..so for her part, I'd say..you should almost consider it a compliment that she got her feathers ruffled. Hope that makes some sort of sense. Be careful and I love you...Mom :)

Suzanne said...

I mean I am willing to bet...from above .. I didn't spell bet out. :)