Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Role Models


Tonight at "holy hour" the topic we covered was all about role models. Who our role models are and why we chose them, qualities we look for which make a person a great role model, and how, even though we may not think about, all of us are role models to the people around us. We talked about the four cardinal virtues and the three theological virtues (when you put these together, they are also known as the seven heavenly virtues) and how if we want to be good role models for our faith than we need to pray to God for the gift of these virtues in our lives. For those of you who do not know what the above virtues are, they are:

Prudence: proper judgment of reasons for action with regard to appropriateness in a context
Justice: proper judgment regarding individual human interests, rights and desserts
Restraint or Temperance: practicing self-control, abstention, and moderation
Courage or Fortitude: forbearance, endurance, and ability to confront fear and uncertainty, or intimidation
Faith: steadfastness in belief
Hope: desire the kingdom of heaven and eternal life as our happiness, placing our trust in Christ's promises and relying not on our own strength, but on the help of the grace of the Holy Spirit
Love or Charity: selfless, unconditional, and voluntary loving-kindness


So who are my role models? I have quite a few of them. The first two are my parents (the couple in the picture happen to be them). My father, well if you knew him personally than you would understand... he is such a hard worker. He works at a tough and under appreciated job give us kids what we have needed without complaining hardly at all, he volunteers for so many church events, teaches ccd classes, and is friendly to everyone he meets. There are so many people that I meet on the street that look at me and say, "Hey, you must be Danny's kid. You are a McConnell, right?" I love him dearly for everything he does.
My mom is amazing. She taught me all through high school and has helped give me the intelligence that I have. She is the one who always reminds us kids to always keep God first in our minds. All the things she does for us at home go unnoticed way to often. I love her dearly.
Some other role models for me are Mary, the Mother of God, St. Maria Gorretti, Mother Teresa. Taylor Swift (some may laugh at that, but I think the way she deals with the media in such a mature way amazing), Peyton Manning (yes, I am a fan, but I think he does a lot of good outside of football), Mother Teresa, and a few others.

To me, I think that really anyone can be considered a role model, but I think there are certain qualities a person should have that makes them a role model to really look up to. I think that a great role model needs to have integrity in everything they do. I think also that role models should use their actions to let the light of Christ shine through rather than just words. Sometimes I think that words will get nothing across to some people, but actions, well it is hard to ignore those. I think that a good role model does not always think of themselves as a good role model, if that makes since. I think they stay humble about it. I believe that someone who knows what they believe and will not back down from that in a respectful manner is a quality in a role model that is worth noticing.

There is a post I wrote awhile back in April which you can look at here. A lot of times I do not think about how many people look up to me, but the fact is everyone has someone that looks up to them. So since I am one for someone than I need to act like someone who I would choose as a role model. I hope that I have done the people who look up to me justice. I think tonight's "holy hour" was a good one to reflect upon.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

My Dear Teresa, How can I thank you for writing this about Dad and I? It means so much..not so much that it was made public, although, that is really sweet, but more because it was written by our child/young woman adult and that I know you really meant what you wrote and I am so thankful to God for inspiring me and helping me to do whatever it was right and good that I did or do. The post also reminds me to keep on and grow even more in integrity and true love for all that I do for God and for others souls. I know that your father will also thank you even if he doesn't type it here.
Keep the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary ever close..always and forever. I love you and all of our children..Mom