Saturday, July 4, 2009

St. Maria Goretti

Every year on 4th of July, since I was about in highschool, my family goes to a local parish where we go to Mass and then say a patriotic rosary afterwords. Today, I was supposed to meet my Dad there, but for some reason he did not show up. I instead sat by some very close family friends. As I was sitting there, it hit me that this Monday will be St. Maria Goretti's feast day. Maria Goretti happened to be my Confirmation saint. What was really cool was that as I realized this it hit me that my confirmation sponsor was the woman I was sitting with. It was kind of cool. I was thinking to myself. "Man, it's funny that I realized my confirmation saint's feast day is coming up as I am sitting here in Mass with my Confirmation sponsor." Go figure...
I just love St. Maria Goretti. The reason I decided on her as my Confirmation saint is because I of her story. She fought so hard to keep her purity for God, and ended up dying for it. I was always brought up, obviously, to save sex for marriage and all that. I think that deciding to save yourself or not is most definitly a very personal decision that should be respected, and unfortunately that is not always the case....It was not until I was about 14 when I really truly decided that that is what I wanted to work for. I did not want to fall for a guy and put myself in the position where I could give up my virginity, and so when I heard about St. Maria Goretti. I kind of picked her out as a "role model" and pray to her often still to help me out in that particular department. I like to think of her as my own personal cheer leader up there in heaven. I decided to post the Maria Goretti's prayer below. Good stuff right there.


Official Prayer to St. Maria Goretti

Oh Saint Maria
Goretti who, strengthened by God's grace, did not hesitate even at the age of
twelve to shed your blood and sacrifice life itself to defend your virginal
purity, look graciously on the unhappy human race which has strayed far from the
path of eternal salvation. Teach us all, and especially youth,with what courage
and promptitude we should flee for the love of Jesus anything that could offend
Him or stain our souls with sin. Obtain for us from our Lord victory in
temptation, comfort in the sorrows of life, and the grace which we earnestly beg
of thee (here insert intention), and may we one day enjoy with thee the
imperishable glory of Heaven. Amen.






No comments: