Sunday, July 19, 2009

Marriage and Christ's Relationship with the Church

Tonight at our Summer weekly youth group Bible study we focused on the sacraments. It was an interesting one tonight... When we talked about the sacrament of Matrimony we looked at the "infamous" (more so for women at least) Ephesians 5:21-32 quote. For those of you who do not know what this quote is:


"Be subordinate to one another out of reverence for Christ. Wives should be subordinate to their husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is head of his wife just as Christ is head of the church, he himself the savior of the body. As the church is subordinate to Christ, so wives should be subordinate to their husbands in everything. Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ loved the church and handed himself over for her to sanctify her, cleansing her by the bath of water with the word, that he might present to himself the church in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. So (also) husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one hates his own flesh but rather nourishes and cherishes it, even as Christ does the church, because we are members of his body. "For this reason a man shall leave (his) father and (his) mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh."This is a great mystery, but I speak in reference to Christ and the church."

Now, I happened to have been able to attend quite a few talks on the Theology of the Body, and at almost every single one of them, this quote is talked about and broken down. You see, I have noticed that whenever this reading is read at Mass how each woman reacts to it. Once I heard it broken down though, I have become a fan of it, which may shock some, but let me explain this a little more from what I have heard. The relationship between a married couple is supposed to mirror that of Christ and his relationship with the Church; the man is supposed to take the role of Christ and the woman is supposed to take the role of the Church. So, yes, the quote says for women to be subordinate to their husbands and respect them, but it also states that the men should love their wives as Christ loves the Church. Now that is a big statement right there, for them to love as Christ did. Let's think for a minute... how did Christ love the Church... well He loved it so much that He died to save it... Now, that's a pretty big thing to be ordered to do. If the husband is supposed to love their wives that much, than I think the least the wife can do is give him respect. As I reflect on it, I think the women have the easier side of the bargain... that's just me though. I have a feeling not to many women agree with me on this though....

2 comments:

Mike Keucher said...

Amen. It's all about sacrificial love--about putting someone else before oneself. It's a two way street, man and woman must both love each other by serving one another in marriage.

It gets a bad wrap with today's culture as it is. No one likes to think about serving anyone but him/herself, and that is why this passage is so unpopular.

But exactly right: marital love mirrors the love Christ shares with the Church. And this passage from Ephesians spells out exactly what the sacrament of matrimony is all about.

I for one wish it was still the only reading allowed as a second reading at Catholic wedding Masses!

Mike

Unknown said...

I don't know about allowing it as the only reading Mike. Then no one would get to use Love is patient love is Kind etc. which in and of itself says a whole lot about married love as well.

When you have been married as long as I have, you learn that it isn't some 50/50 proposition. Marriage is an all for all deal. I give 100% of myself all of the time and I get back 100% of my husband. When we don't live up to that benchmark we are called by our vows to let each other know (in love) that some work needs to be done. (That is where the reading from 2 Corrinthians comes in)

If you don't go into it thinking that you will never make it as a married couple. I am happy to let my husband lead, because I give him the strength he needs to be the leader in our household.