Friday, July 17, 2009

"God"

I happen to be a "retreat freak." What I mean by that is I love going on retreats. I love everything to do with them. I have gone on so many, that sometimes the memories of them tend to run into each other. I keep every t-shirt I get from them and wear each of them a lot. I have retreat t-shirts that I received way back in high school that I still love to wear. I have kept every note I have received on a retreat in the same bags I got them in. In fact, keeping them separated like that has indeed helped a lot in keeping the retreats straight in my head. Last night, I felt the need to go back and read some of those notes I received from different people while on a retreat. While looking through the different large retreat envelopes I have, I happened to find a poem a friend of mine wrote and wanted to share with each of us that went on that particular retreat. I was really moved by it, and so I want to put it here. Enjoy!

God
by Jen Prins

"He's not just a concept
A flighty idea
Something to make the kids happy

He's not cold impersonal authority
That hides behind rules
And doesn't give a damn

He's not a push over.
He tolerates being cheated, lied to, and stolen from
As many times as it takes

He even stands there as you walk away.

He doesn't want to take anything from you

In His eyes you are never damaged goods_
No matter how broken or used you may think you are.

He doesn't even ask you to come into the light
'Cause He'll follow you into darkness

He'll learn your pain.

So when no one else gets you and you're all alone

He'll be there.

He'll take it away

Not by a cheap wave of the hand
Of one who wants "everything" to be beautiful and
"Everyone" to be happy

But by living through hell too - so you won't be alone.

Even your screams
"My God, why have you forsaken me?"
Will be His own.

And by walking your steps
Instead of making you walk His

He's earned the right

To pick you up and carry you home.

No comments: