Monday, July 13, 2009

"Life is a highway. I want to drive it all night long..."



One of my favorite things to do when I have a lot of different things going through my mind is to get in my car and just drive. Sometimes I drive down to the lake, sometimes I drive out towards Owen county, but my favorite place to drive is out in Brown county. I love that route mainly because it is such a pretty drive, as you can tell from the pictures above. I was lucky to be able to go out that way this evening to spend some time with a close friend, and it was one of those days today when I felt like getting in the car and just driving so that worked out quite well. There is just something about getting in your car and randomly driving somewhere with your music up and the windows rolled down. I find that I tend to have the best conversations with God while I am driving around like that. I've had a lot going on in my life the past few weeks... my car wreck, coming to terms with the fact that most of my close friends are leaving, a creepy stalker guy that likes to follow me around, family stuff. I just kind of had enough of dealing with that, and the long drive was just what I needed to clear my mind. There is something about feeling the control of driving a car... how fast it goes, where you steer it... it is one of the only things I have real control over and I think I just needed to remind myself that even though there are a lot of stuff in my life I can't control, I still have other things that I do have complete control over, like driving my car. I came to that conclusion while I was talking to God, how I hate feeling totally out of control with so many things, and I felt like I needed something for me to control otherwise I would probably go crazy. What is it with human nature and the need to control everything? I know I probably wrote about this before, but it still is a large thing I need to work on... giving up total control to God... It's kind of like when I go on a random drive. I want to know what is coming around the next turn, and yet I am so focused on what will be around that turn, I don't take the time to appreciate what I could be seeing at the moment. What can I say? I am still a work in progress.

2 comments:

Mike Keucher said...

Nice images here. And yes, I find myself in the same boat (or car, as it were). Sometimes the best way to escape is to get in the car and drive.

I wonder if it's more a need to escape certain things, rather than a need to control. But I have had the same reflections behind the wheel.

Peace!

Mike

Suzanne said...

Yes, me too, I'm with Mike..I think its just a need to get away from things, mostly too. Still, I guess we humans do have to fight off some form of trying to control something and I think that is natural and this way, perhaps doesn't affect us, hopefully in some wrongful egotistical sort of way.