Sunday, April 19, 2009

Every Ending Is Just A New Beginning

This past year I have volunteered as a confirmation catechist for my parish. Today, sadly, was our very last class for the year. I was not expecting to really feel so sad about saying good-bye to the kids in my small group. I honestly was hesitant to be a catechist for the confirmation aged kids. I have helped teach the elementary aged children ever since I was about sixteen I believe, and I have always enjoyed teaching it, especially the sixth grade class. I do not really know why I was hesitant to help teach the high school kids, because I really do love to help chaperone high school retreats and help out with youth masses, but I was. In fact, it never crossed my mind to help out until a friend of mine asked me to last summer. I am now glad that I did though. In a way helping them has helped me learn more about my faith than I knew before, so not only did I help them (hopefully), but they helped me as well. I am very excited to see what these kids are going to do in their future for the Church after they get Confirmed next month. I am sure the one's that I got to know are going to do great things!

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Congratulations on a gift well given..your time and your caring for them and their future and souls! :)
Just in case they forgot to say so..remember..they will understand more fully one day and may do the same in return for others..or like you said some great thing!
The rest we leave to God and the many other inspirations He will have for them. (I need to take my own advice here! :) Anyway, sincerely, thanks for helping teach my younger brothers and sisters in Christ. Your joy will be great in Heaven for what you do here too!

Mike Keucher said...

I find high school aged kids more difficult to teach, too, but that's what makes it even more rewarding. Most of them actually WANT to know more about the faith they are about to be confirmed in, while the younger kids are there because their parents dropped them off (a good thing, too!).

Glad you're enjoying teaching them, and glad you'll be doing it again in the upcoming years!!

Mike