Sunday, April 26, 2009

Partying is So Overrated Anyway.....

This past week-end we have been blessed with gorgeous weather! It was sunny and warm and simply gorgeous. I could not have asked for better weather for this week-end in particular. It was"Little 500" week-end here in good old Bloomington, In. There is even a movie made all about this event called "Breaking Away," which happens to be a favorite of mine. Really though, this week-end always seems to be the most dangerous week-end in my town because of all the drinking and partying that goes on with the college students. Instead of participating in the drinking rituals of the many students my age I decided on a more safer and sober approach to the week-end....

We had our C.C.D. classes yesterday. Every year I tend to switch back and forth between helping my mom with her 6th grade class and my dad's R.C.I.C. class. Yesterday, however, I decided to hang out in my friend's 3rd grade class since I will be helping teach it over the Summer. The class was spent on learning The Apostle's Creed and learning all about Pentecost. You see, instead of meeting every week for the kids, we meet four times a year on a Saturday for about three hours, and then for one week in the Summer from nine in the morning to three in the afternoon. That week is a huge commitment to make, and sadly I could not take off any time last year to help out. This year I will be teaching the third graders in the mornings and then my friend will take over for the afternoons so I can go back to work. I have never worked with third graders before, but I think it will be a great time. The kids all seem like good kids and knowing that will make teaching them more fun.

After classes were over I went with my friend to go find Confirmation presents to buy for the six kids in our small group. We went to a place called "The Mother of the Redeemer Farm" bookstore (I could talk about why it's called that, but that is for another blog all together.). It is always fun to go into that little shop because there are just so many things to look at and find. There is always something different every time you walk in there. After spending quite a bit of time trying to figure out what in the world we would get them, we finally decided on a visor clip which says that if the owner of the car is in a dangerous accident to call a priest. They are really cool looking clips. Some of them had crucifixes on them, others had Mary on them, and one had the Sacred Heart of Jesus on it. We also got them a little prayer book filled with different useful prayers (I know, shocking right?) like the prayers for Before and After Communion along with others. The last two things we decided on were little ring rosaries and a little "How to Pray the Rosary" booklet. All in all I think we did well. It's always fun buying gifts for other people and wondering about how they will react to them.

Later in the late afternoon and early evening I went to baby-sit for one of the daycare families. The parents had a wedding reception they wanted to go to without having to worry about dealing with the kids, and they were not really comfortable leaving them home alone for that long just yet. It's always fun watching the kids one on one and seeing how different they are in their own home environments. We had a blast trying to catch butterflies and playing hide-and-seek for a good hour and half. There is no better way to end a hide-and-seek game than going out and getting ice cream from the local ice cream shop.

It was a very eventful day yesterday to say the least, and I definitely did not need to drink a thing to enjoy it.

2 comments:

Mike Keucher said...

Amen! I often find that people drink and partake in stupid parties as a way to escape reality. When they say they're going to go "have fun", they seem to suggest that reality isn't fun or enjoyable.

Interesting that when we spend time in the service of God, there's simply no need to escape! It's enjoyable and rewarding. Who would want to escape it?

Not me!

Mike

Suzanne said...

I have always been grateful that many times when I've been somewhere and chose not to party..certainly at least not much, I could have so dang much fun anyway! Hey..listen..God gave us a personality and He gave us a sense of humor..he gave us a voice to use to sing and laugh and two feet to dance with (and it does NOT have to be in any particular way..just be silly) and one can have a great time..even at a party.
Sounds like your weekend was full of fun and very few regrets if ANY.