Friday, April 17, 2009

"Watching You"

There is a song by Rodney Atkins called "Watching You." It's all about a father and his son and how his son wants to be just like him as he grows older, so he's tying to do everything his father does. It reminded me just how much children pay attention to everything that they see and hear. Most of the time they repeat the things you have said that you wish they did not repeat. I always have to stay on my toes at work when it comes to the words I use and how I react to certain things that have happened throughout the day because I have twelve pairs of eyes and ears that are watching and listening to everything that is going on around them. There have been a few times I have accidentally let a word slip, and undoubtedly, sometime later that day I will hear that word I said come from one of their little mouths, and then I feel just awful. I have to remember if I want to help the children grow up and treat others respectively, than I have to give them a good example to follow. It would be kind of hypocritical to get upset with the children for the way they behave if I am doing the exact opposite of what I want them to do. The lyrics to the song I mentioned above, are below. It is a very cute song, and it happens to be one of my favorites.


Watching You
Rodney Atkins


Drivin’ through town just my boy and me
With a Happy Meal in his booster seat
Knowin’ that he couldn’t have the toy ‘til his nuggets were gone.
A green traffic light turned straight to red
I hit my brakes and mumbled under my breath.
His fries went a flyin’, and his orange drink covered his lap
Well, then my four year old said a four letter word
It started with “S” and I was concerned
So I said, “Son, now where’d you learn to talk like that?”

Chorus:
He said, "I’ve been watching you, dad ain’t that cool?
I’m your buckaroo, I wanna be like you.
And eat all my food and grow as tall as you are.
We got cowboy boots and camo pants
Yeah, we’re just alike, hey, ain’t we dad?
I want to do everything you do.
So I’ve been watching you."

We got back home and I went to the barn
I bowed my head and I prayed real hard
Said, “Lord, please help me help my stupid self.”
Just this side of bedtime later that night
Turnin’ on my son’s Scooby-Doo nightlight.
He crawled out of bed and he got down on his knees.
He closed his little eyes, folded his little hands
Spoke to God like he was talkin’ to a friend.
And I said, “Son, now where’d you learn to pray like that?”

Chorus:
He said, "I’ve been watching you, dad ain’t that cool?
I’m your buckaroo, I want to be like you.
And eat all my food and grow as tall as you are.
We like fixin’ things and holding momma’s hand
Yeah, we’re just alike, hey, ain’t we dad?
I want to do everything you do; so I’ve been watching you"

With tears in my eyes I wrapped him in a hug.
Said, “My little bear is growin’ up.”
And he said, “But when I’m big I’ll still know what to do.”

"‘Cause I’ve been watching you, dad ain’t that cool?
I’m your buckaroo, I want to be like you.
And eat all my food and grow as tall as you are.
By then I’ll be strong as superman
We’ll be just alike, hey, won’t we dad
When I can do everything you do.
‘cause I’ve been watchin’ you."
hey yeah
uh huh

3 comments:

Mike Keucher said...

I absolutely love this song. There is such great power in a child seeing his father--he who is usually considered by the child to be the most masculine, strongest figure--kneeling down in praying to God.

Children will follow suit!!

I posted a few hours ago on my blog a post about Blessed Mary of the Incarnation. The last prayer this woman uttered was this: "Lord, forgive me for the bad example that I have set."

How true, how true!

NovelEagle said...

I always knew I loved htis song. Now, I remember why.

Peggy Ullman Bell
Author: FIXIN' THINGS
a novel of women at Gettysburg

Teresa said...

Mike,
Thanks for that quote. It really is true!

NovelEagle,
Thanks for stopping by. It is always nice to see a new person stop by and check out my blog. :)