Friday, April 10, 2009

My Good Friday

This Good Friday was an especially difficult one for me, but I really only brought it on myself. I mean I did not have a problem this time with fasting, because as part of my Lenten promise I have been fasting every Friday during lent. Instead, you see, last night I decided I would go bar hopping with an old friend of mine who I rarely ever see anymore. What started out as some innocent fun, somehow ended up being more"fun" than I ever anticipated. So today, I have had one of the worst hang overs I have ever had. At first this morning, I was all feeling sorry for myself for being an idiot, but then as I was laying on the couch and feeling sick to my stomach, it hit me that today is Good Friday, the day Jesus DIED for me (talk about a reality check right there). So instead of complaining about the hang over I was having, I ended up offering it up for the souls in purgatory. I also prayed quite a few rosaries because I did not have the strength to really do much else since I was sick. I was so glad to be feeling well enough to make it to Good Friday service tonight. It was a very beautiful service, and happens to be one of my favorite (next to Midnight Mass and Easter Vigil Mass) traditions of the Church.

Having that horrible hang over happen was most definitely a learning experience for me. For one, I now have to ALWAYS remind myself to make sure I eat something more than a salad before I go out with my friends. Secondly, I don't need to drink as much as I did (obviously). Third, I need to learn to not ALWAYS drink a drink some guy wants to buy me, because I am sure that did not help my situation whatsoever... Lastly, I need to remind myself to keep drinking water through out the night, not just during the last half hour before it's time to head home.

3 comments:

Mike Keucher said...

Mistakes happen. As the playwright George Ade once wrote: "Life is a series of relapses and recoveries."

Isn't that the truth.

Mike

Teresa said...

Mike,
I couldn't agree with that quote more.

Suzanne said...

Sissy..the main thing is that you learned from it. I'm sorry that I seemed so frustrated with you in one way, but in another I am so thankful that you and your friend arrived home safely. Yes, always watch what any supposedly nice enough guy wants you to buy or buy for you...be very watchful and God bless you for offering up your pains for the Poor Souls in Purgatory. That was the best thing I've ever read by anyone in a long time! Just Ma