Thursday, September 10, 2009

How to deal with different personalities positively

As I mentioned in a post a few days ago, I am on a retreat team planning for a high school retreat. During my meeting I was given a hand-out about all the different types of people that we will probably encounter while leading the retreat, and positive ways to interact with them. I found it interesting because these are probably some of the same things I will have to deal with in my small group for Confirmation classes. I think this could not have been given to me at a better time with Confirmation classes starting up in a few weeks.

Types of people you may encounter at your table on the week-end

I AM NEGATIVE:
I am negative because I am nervous or afraid or not confident or have been hurt in the past. I will respond best if you are NOT negative towards me. Recognizing my legitimate objections and gently challenging me to be more positive. If I am ruining things, talk to me privately.

I AM QUIET: I am quiet for a number of reasons. First, it is just my personality. Or I don't know much about the subject or I am afraid what I say will be laughed at. I respond best when you ask me direct questions but rescue me if I get embarrassed and can't think of anything to say. Affirm my ideas when I do talk.

I AM DAYDREAMING: I am daydreaming because I have other things and problems on my mind. The conversation is just not interesting to me. I respond best if you call on me to draw me back in, as long as you are careful not to embarrass me. I respond best when questioned about my interests or experiences.

I AM DISTRACTING: I am distracting the group because I am embarrassed or have some trouble with someone else in the group. Sometimes I'm a distraction because I was forced to be here and I'm rebelling. I will respond best if you do not talk down to me or yell at me publicly - if you are firm and refuse to put up with my distractions. Ask me privately, one on one, to change my behavior. Enforce that. If I don't cooperate, ask me to leave.

I AM STRONGLY OPINIONATED: I am strongly opinionated because I have strong ideas about many things and I am confident in discussions. I usually don't realize I'm shutting others out. I respond best when you gently cut me off with a "Thank, Let's see how everyone else feels about this." I can usually summarize discussions well and would love you to ask me to do this.

I AM TALKATIVE: I am talkative because that's my nature. I talk so much because when I try to put my ideas into words, I learn a lot. I don't always mean to talk more that my share. I respond best when you affirm my ideas but gently let me know that it's someone else's turn. For instance, "That's an interesting way to look at it, now let's hear what some others have to say."

I AM A BALANCED PERSON: I am a balanced person because I've had many experiences in group discussions. I respond best when you tell me how glad you are to have me in your group. I would love it if you would solicit my help with the group. I could mail reminders, call people, or anything. Maybe you could even mention my name to the youth minister as a possible leader who could help plan events.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

and I will have to come back by to read this when my eyes aren't so sleeeepy! I'll be interested to see what it says...maybe I'll read your hard copy!