Monday, September 21, 2009

"You Know You're From Indiana When...."

I found this and I thought it was kind of amusing. I don't agree with all of it, but that is probably because I am from a nicer sized town then some here.... good old Bloomington.

You Know You Are From Indiana When....
  • You drive for three hours and the scenery outside doesn’t change. Flat fields… But hey, they can be pretty!
  • There’s three feet of snow on the ground and school is still in session. Not always, but yes, there were some days that I don’t know why school was still in…
  • You only go to the mall once a year ’cause it takes too long to get there. Like I said, from Bloomington, but it's not the greatest one, that's for sure. I still prefer to go up to Indy/
  • While driving all you see is corn. And we learn to appreciate it.
  • People still have Christmas decorations up at Easter. Every so often I see that
  • Anyone with a cell phone looks out of place. Ummm, I’m getting to be surprised when people without a cell phone look odd.
  • Walking through Wal-Mart with two carts full of kids is normal. Kids have no place in Wal-mart, people…
  • Anyone with a tan is rich. Rich people???
  • The hip hang-out place is McDonald’s. Not really... B-Dubbs, Starbucks, Panera Bread....
  • There really is more than corn in Indiana. There’s soybeans, too. Perhaps.
  • A restaurant has an invisible wall in the non-smoking section and you believe it works. I knwo it doesn’t work… And I hate them.
  • Speeding consists of 2 miles over the speed limit. Tell that to the people doing 90 down the interstate…
  • You think you don’t have to use a turn signal on your car because you don’t use it on your tractor. I’ve had many near-misses because the person in front of me or in my turning path were failing to use their signals…
  • You warsh your clothes and you think George Warshington was the first president. I know people like that…
  • You’re proud to be called a Hoosier, even if you don’t know what one is. Not a clue, but that’s okay ’cause the whole “state pride” thing seems pretty lame to me.
  • You have no problem spelling or pronouncing “Terre Haute” Nope, none at all.
  • Detassling was your first job. Bailing hay, your second. Not mine.
  • You can stack hay, swim in the pond to clean off, and then have the strength to play a couple of games of hoops all in the same day. Never had to do that
  • You say things like “catty-wumpus” and “kitty-corner”. Never used or heard those words before today...
  • You own a dirtbike or a ATV. Never have.
  • You live in a city, and there’s a cornfield in your backyard. Not exactly anymore....
  • High school basketball game draws a bigger crowd on the weekend nights than movie theaters. Since the South High school team is #3 in the Nation that would not surprise me in the slightest.
  • You can see at least 2 basketball hoops from your yard. Yes, I can.
  • You can name every one of Bob Knight’s “exploits” over the last few years. Former IU coach with a temper problem
  • You shop at Marsh. No, Kroger
  • Damon Bailey was your childhood hero. Never heard of ‘im.
  • The biggest question of your youth was “IU or Purdue?”
  • Indianapolis is the “big city”.
  • “Getting caught by a train” is a legitimate excuse for being late to school. One that I’ve had to use.
  • People at your high school chewed tobacco. As evidenced by the messes occasionally left underneath tables.
  • Everyone knows who the town cop is, where he lives, and whether he is at home or on duty. Not me.
  • You actually know what the CART vs IRL debate is about and have taken a side. The what?
  • To you, a raccoon is simply a “coon”. Nope.
  • The vehicle of choice in your area is not a car, but a pickup. Not for me
  • Someone you know is BIG John Mellencamp fan.
  • You’ve been to the Covered Bridge Festival.
  • To you, a tenderloin is not an expensive cut of beef, but a big, salty, breaded piece of pork served on a bun with pickles.
  • You call a green bell pepper a “mango”. No, I don’t.
  • Sometimes, you call the toilet the “commode” or the “stool”.
  • In the fall, one of your favorite pranks was corning cars. Huh?
  • You know what FFA and 4H stand for. “FFA” used to stand for “Future Farmers of America”; they changed it, and now I have no idea. I can’t remember what 4H stands for.
  • You know what chip-and-seal is, and your high school was located on just such a road. Again… Huh?
  • You go the county fair every night of it’s week-long duration. at least three of the nights...
  • The last “g” is silent in any word ending in “ing.”
  • You think the state Bird is Larry. Or, more accurate, I have no reason to care what the state bird is.
  • You actually get these jokes and pass them on to other friends from Indiana. Guilty.

No comments: