Wednesday, August 12, 2009

All In A Day's Work....

I love my job. Working with kids has got to be one of the most fun jobs. I get to make messes and play and brainstorm for different ways to help the children learn important concepts in a way where the children enjoy every minute of it. In the past few months I have been working extremely hard to prove to myself and my boss that I am capable of taking the lead teaching position in my room if the lead teacher who is working with me at the moment does indeed decide to leave the daycare. She took the Summer off, and that left me in charge with the room and what would go on in it. I never really knew if I was getting all the things done that needed to be done or if I was missing something because all Summer my boss never really commented on my work. That was extremely frustrating to me.
Earlier this week, we had a child and his parent come into my room to kind of "try it out" and see how the little boy would do. So my co-worker and I went on doing our normal routine... letting the kids play outside for a little bit to get their energy out and then headed inside for circle time. Circle time for us consists of going over the letter of the week, which for this week is V, different words that start with the letter of the week, we go over the calendar, and the days of the week. Depending on what day it is we will sometimes have show-and-tell after that or we review the different letters we've covered, or we do an activity that focuses on the letter of the week. We then read a book about the theme of this week, which this week for is was all about how things grow, and after that we sing different songs with the kids. After circle time we then do an art activity which usually goes along with the theme of the week as well. Circle time usually lasts us about thirty minutes or so, which I think seems like a long time for kids to pay attention, but everyday they don't show signs of being tired of it until about a half hour passes. We do this schedule every day with the kids.
After our visitors left, my boss came into the room and told my friend and I that we did great work that day. The mother loved everything she saw us do and he could not have been more pleased with the comments she was giving him. We both thanked him, but inside my head I was thinking, "Finally, some recognition here." I don't need to be recognized for my hard work all the time, but every so often it is nice to hear that I am doing a great job.
Tonight while I was telling my mom this, she then told me that she was talking to a father of one of the kid's at the daycare. She said he came over to her while she was in the middle of answering someone's inquiry of how I was doing. When he realized she was talking about me, he told her with a smile, "Ahh... Miss Teresa. She is such a great caregiver over there. She fits well at St. Charles." It was nice to hear that from a parent of the kids that I've taken care of. It lets me know that I must be doing something right.

No comments: