Tuesday, August 4, 2009

"I'm single and that's how I wanna be."

When I went down South in Tennessee last year to visit my family I could not help but notice that there is a little bit of a culture change there from here in Indiana, where I live. Apparently down there that if you are not married or engaged by age 20 there must be something wrong with you... like you are already considered an "old maid." I think I was asked by every single cousin of mine (and trust me, I have A LOT of cousins down in Tenn.) whether I was married. When I told them no, I got that same look of shock from each of them. They always followed up that question by asking me whether I was dating someone and engaged, and when I answered no again, they again gave the same look of shock on their faces. They all were shocked that I was 21 and okay with being single. It was weird to me because up here, none of my friends have gotten married, and very few of my acquaintances have even been engaged.... No one seems to be in as big of a rush to find their "significant other," and it seems strange to me when I meet someone my age who is married and has kids. It is not so "taboo" to be single while enjoying it. As I have said before, I cannot wait to meet my future husband, but in God's time, not mine. Until God is ready for me to meet him, I am more than willing to enjoy being single and going after some of my goals. The song below is one of my favorites... it's all about how you do not need to be in a relationship to be "somebody"... it's about taking pride in who you are and if you meet and fall in love with someone than that's great, but it's not everything.


Single
Natasha Bedingfield

Ah yeah that's right
All you single people out there
This is for you
Yeah

I'm not waiting around for a man to save me
('Cos I'm happy where I am)
Don't depend on a guy to validate me
(No no)
I don't need to be anyone's baby
(Is that so hard to understand?)
No I don't need another half to make me... whole

Make your move if you want
Doesn't mean I will or won't
I'm free to make my mind up
You either got it or you don't

[Chorus:]
This is my current single status
My declaration of independence
There's no way I'm trading places
Right now a star's in the ascendant

I'm single
(Right now)
That's how I wanna be
I'm single
(Right now)
That's how I'm gonna be

Ah yeah uh huh that's right

Don't need to be on somebody's arm to look good
(I like who I am)
I'm not saying I don't wanna fall in love 'cos I would
I'm not gonna get hooked up just 'cos you say I should
(Can't romance on demand)
I'm gonna wait so I'm sorry if you misunderstood

[Repeat Chorus]

Everything in it's right time everything in its right place
I know I'll settle down one day
But 'til then I like it this way... it's my way
Yes I like it this way

Make your move if you want doesn't mean I will or won't
I'm free to make my mind up you either got it or you don't
'Til then I'm single

[Repeat Chorus]

2 comments:

Kate said...

+M

I had to laugh when I saw this because I too have copious amounts of cousins in Tenn (I get to see them this weekend...Yay!!!) and all of them where married before the age of 20 (I was starting to feel old) except for one who is 25, but she is engaged...but now that I think about it...I'm 20 and am technically engaged to God...does that count?

Suzanne said...

Maybe there is something to people getting married before 20 in TN! I got married at 19, but then that was almost 37 years ago! Anyway, T, you know where I'm from! LOL!